de-humidifiers/condensation

dave_b

Visit site
Many thanks for the help with the autopilot - at least we know where to start now !!
Next problem --does anyone have any thoughts on dehumidifiers and condensation.
We spend a lot of time onboard and find the condensation in lockers and the aft cabin- in particular- a bit of a problem, we've tried the insulation with foil and we've tried carpet, is a dehumidifier a good idea if you're onboard a lot of the time
as SWMBO doesn't want to end up looking like a prune (her words !!).

pandroid

www.kissen.co.uk
Used one last 3 years and does what it says on the tin. Generally leave all the gear on the boat now and no damp problems. Thoroughly recomended.

I usually run it continuously from December through to March - I use a copy of PBO to determine dampness - when the cover curls up its time to put on the dehumidifier, after a week or so, the cover lays flat again!

That said, I've got one of the posh XM dehumidifiers with hot gas defrost. (Bought before B&Q did 'em) The XM has a 'humidstat' that allows me to turn down the wick. I dont run it on full dry-out setting. Not the ideal form factor though.

stubate

Visit site
if you are onboard most of the time and have access to shore power go to homebase and buy on of their cheapdehumidifiers, £89.99 approx, they suck out the moisture like nobodys biz, bit noisy if you are sleeping. only prob if left un attended and COLD they freeze up, (you need a hot defrost one to prevent thisbut are nearer £200) however if you are on board when it is running and keep the place warm it will work fine,
just a thought for you, 1 litre calor gas produces 2 litres of water when burned, so if you turn on the gas stove to warm your self you are not only risking gas poisening you also are filling the boat with water vapour.
if you want to go the cheap unattended route, use the cheap dehumidifier on a timer and a cheap 500 watt convector heater on a timer, set them up so that the heater takes the chill off the boat, then the dehumidifier timer kicks in and dehumidifies. set them up so they alternate.
stu

dave_b

Visit site
Many thanks for the replies.
We've had an Eberspacher system fitted and have to say the boat is very warm, it's the condensation that's the problem ! so I think we'll give the de humidifier a go.