Day Skipper Practical Motor

Visit site
Recommendations please for a school to undertake this course either West Country or Poole/ Lymington/ Southampton.

Undertake my theory many years ago but would like to complete the practical .

Seems to be a 4 day course .

Many Thanks

Guido999

Visit site
Hi there,
I did the four day day skipper practical at PowerBoat Training UK (click here for the details). They are based at Cobbs Quay in Poole, although I think they go from Lymington as well.

My wife, my thirteen year old daughter and I all took the course together about a year ago. Our instructor was Paul, a retired Police officer from the Marine Section of the Dorset Police. Paul was absolutely brilliant and I couldn’t recommend him and school highly enough. The boat was a Botnia Targa 30 - not too big to be overwhelming but big enough to provide me with a level of good confidence to start skippering motor cruisers (only dinghies and ribs before this :0)

Although my daughter couldn’t get the full RYA qualification to add to her collection (she wasn’t old enough), Paul and the school tailored the sessions for all of us & Paul managed to keep her interest throughout (no easy task with a thirteen year old who is armed with an iPhone). Paul and the school were absolutely brilliant - so highly recommended from me.

Best
G.

Ratkins

Visit site
Hi

I completed the practical last October with marine matters in Hamble, good calm instructor, 42 ft fairline with twin shafts nd flybridge
Highly recommend

bluetooth

Visit site
Hi there,
I did the four day day skipper practical at PowerBoat Training UK (click here for the details). They are based at Cobbs Quay in Poole, although I think they go from Lymington as well.

My wife, my thirteen year old daughter and I all took the course together about a year ago. Our instructor was Paul, a retired Police officer from the Marine Section of the Dorset Police. Paul was absolutely brilliant and I couldn’t recommend him and school highly enough. The boat was a Botnia Targa 30 - not too big to be overwhelming but big enough to provide me with a level of good confidence to start skippering motor cruisers (only dinghies and ribs before this :0)

Although my daughter couldn’t get the full RYA qualification to add to her collection (she wasn’t old enough), Paul and the school tailored the sessions for all of us & Paul managed to keep her interest throughout (no easy task with a thirteen year old who is armed with an iPhone). Paul and the school were absolutely brilliant - so highly recommended from me.

Best
G.

+1 for PBT @ Cobbs

matt8442

Visit site
I also did the day skippers course with powerboat training uk at Cobbs Quay. Excellent course and the Staff were knowledgable and patient. Certainly gave me the training and confidence to go and get my own boat.

MrB

Visit site
"Jon Mendez is the author of “Start Powerboating”, the official handbook issued with all RYA Powerboat Level 2 courses and the RYA DVD’s “Boat Handling for Sportsboats and Ribs” and “Ribs and Sportsboats at Sea”."

Kinda gives you an idea of the aforementioned "Mendez Marine". I have never met them and have absolutely no affiliation to them, just read their website a few days ago. Quite highly regarded on here too.

Visit site
I have completed comp crew,day skipper theory and practical, coastal skipper theory and practical. I also have level 1&2 powerboat.
These were obviously for sailing vessels. I'm on the verge of buying a power yacht, would I need to complete a power boating course?
Or is what I have enough? sorry if I've hijacked this posting.
Russ