Data SIM in France... now an amazing deal

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
A big thank you for this really useful thread. We are in Paris at the Arsenal marina and the data allowance on our 3 data SIM had run out. Today I went over to the Free Center near the Madeleine and got a Free SIM from one of the vending machines there - 10 Euros for the SIM and 19.95 for a month's data. You just need a credit card (CHIP/PIN), email address and a French Address - I used the Marina address.

It's working like a dream and we are really grateful for the heads up!

And another big thank you from me, I've been in the UK for the past couple of weeks, but returned to France this evening. I used the kiosk locator that Cardo helpfully linked to above, which pointed me to a newsagents a few mins scooter ride from here (Port Vauban, Antibes). It took less than five mins using the kiosk to select the €19.99 deal, specify a sim format, make a cc payment, enter name and address details, and receive a fully-provisioned sim. Once back on board it worked straight away with my mifi (I have a Huawei E5776) and I immediately vpn'd back to the UK and watched a bit of telly on iplayer. Very impressed, and again thanks to Cardo for posting about this.

Forty_Two

Visit site
And another big thank you from me, I've been in the UK for the past couple of weeks, but returned to France this evening. I used the kiosk locator that Cardo helpfully linked to above, which pointed me to a newsagents a few mins scooter ride from here (Port Vauban, Antibes). It took less than five mins using the kiosk to select the €19.99 deal, specify a sim format, make a cc payment, enter name and address details, and receive a fully-provisioned sim. Once back on board it worked straight away with my mifi (I have a Huawei E5776) and I immediately vpn'd back to the UK and watched a bit of telly on iplayer. Very impressed, and again thanks to Cardo for posting about this.

How did you get on with the Free sim for data in your mifi over the year? How was the 4g coverage & did you still get a good allowance when on 3g.

Deal still seems to be available so might avail myself of one in a few weeks.

Thanks, Paul

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
How did you get on with the Free sim for data in your mifi over the year? How was the 4g coverage & did you still get a good allowance when on 3g.

Deal still seems to be available so might avail myself of one in a few weeks.

Thanks, Paul

It's been unequivocally brilliant. Still using it - I chose the monthly option and it just debits to my UK credit card each month. In terms of usage and speed - all fine, have never got anywhere close to the limits. Ref your 3G question, aiui you only get 3GB when roaming on to other providers (which is limited to 3G speed) but I've never done this so can't comment. But when on their native 4G network it all works perfectly for me.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
Thanks, did you use your Uk address ok to register? I take it their 4g coverage is good along the SoF coast?

Edit
Just found this useful cell map http://www.antennesmobiles.fr

No, I used my French address. No idea about the extent of their coverage, I can only comment about my own specific experiences (which over the winter have mostly been in Antibes).

lindsay

Visit site
Just fyi for those using the Three mifi, huawei, in France, I was duly rapped over the knuckles for using it "for more than 2 whole months outside the country" and was cut off without further ado. It came back on ok when I returned to the Uk on a short visit.....so they do check