Darwins theory was Correct ?

oldgit

Visit site
Recently in a south coast marina and surrounded by many new small and not so small boats.
Most of them French with a smattering of other EU marques but all following the same overall design.
All the creature comforts of larger boats but on a smaller scale and very smart they looked too.
Nothing to distinguish them really but a closer look revealed one thing...all powered by Outboards.
Have the boat builders finally decided the "Outdriveosaurous Rex" is on its way to extinction. ? :)

Falling Star

Visit site
I'm between boats at the moment but seriously thinking about an outboard for the next one. After a lifetime of diesels on shafts and a couple of outdrives, I think it's time for a change.

My main concern is the possibility of petrol smell (re the other thread I started recently). It doesn't seem to be a problem with all boats though.

Seastoke

Visit site
What I don’t understand is that , the legs seem to be so good on outboards , yet with inboards we all have read the issues.

julians

Visit site
What I don’t understand is that , the legs seem to be so good on outboards , yet with inboards we all have read the issues.
The prop shaft has to go though an extra 90 degree bend on an outdrive compared to an outboard, and that propshaft has to articulate to allow the drive to trim up and down, which means some kind of flexible joint is needed in the prop shaft, plus a hole in the transom is needed for the prop shaft to pass through along with some kind of way (the bellows) of keeping the water out which can still allow the drive to trim up and down .

Also an outboard can be trimmed up so it is completely out of the water when not in use, whereas an outdrive is nearly fully immersed regardless of how far it is trimmed up, so is subject to more corrosion, growth etc

Theres a fair few more points of potential failure in an outdrive compared to outboard.

Last edited:

Meagain

Visit site
Inboards (vp in particular) have priced themselves out of the market and just compare how much an outboard has evolved in compariso, then there is the servicing/repair costs. Even with the mpg of diesels, the outboard range are threatening because of the stupidly high service costs (parts) of diesels. A lot of people just don’t do the hours to warrant the mpg benefit. I think we will see the demise of vp in to upto D4 range unless they react to the outboard threat.

jointventureII

Visit site
I don't know what it's like in the UK anymore but getting decent people to work on outdrives is becoming harder.

I've purchased most of the special tools required to do the work myself on my Bravo 2. When purchasing the boat, I decided I could live with an outdrive if it were diesel. A petrol outdrive was a non starter. At a fast cruise, 21 knots, I manage 0.7NM per litre however at 7 knots I get 2NM / litre. Petrol engines for the same boat can't get close to that but I fully understand why most people are going for outboards