DAB radio on a boat

davel

Visit site
I'm fed up with lousy MW reception on my current car radio fitted to the boat so I'm thinking of upgrading to a new one with DAB and an Aux socket on the front for iPod connection. There seem to be several around.

Does anyone have any experience of using a DAB radio on a boat? If so, how does it perform and what antenna arrangements do you have?

I spend 80% of my sailing time in the wider Solent area so reception should be OK (I think!)

elton

www.boatit.co.uk
If you're prepared to adjust the aerial orientation every time you tack, and start your engine every hour or so to top up your battery, then DAB may be the way to go.

Otherwise, I'd suggest you buy a good quality AM receiver (whether it's a car radio or otherwise) and maybe an external antenna.

Moonshiners

www.speedandstrip.co.uk
We have an stand alone household DAB (search previous thread), I know your looking at DIN/Car style ones but i presume reception issues are the same, ours works fine at anchor, in the marina and whilst under way (30kn + boat) havn't had to re-tune yet...

Ours works fine, but depending on area (under alum cliffs) you do need the ariel extended fully. Otherwise it's fine.

Gumpy

Visit site
I have a cheap (£25) DAB portable from ASDA runs on AA batteries or mains, I will eventually get round to getting a 6v PSU for it, works a treat on the Blackwater.
Also we use a similar one in the steel barge and it still works whereas there is NO reception on the FM part of it at all. No external antennas just the whip that is on the set.

KenMcCulloch

Visit site
I would be wary of using one of these radios on a boat mainly as a poster above says because of the power consumption. I have one with a rechargeable battery which lasts about 5x as long when used on FM as on DAB. I've just bought a very nice MW/LW/VHF Sony Radio brand new old stock 2003 model for £15 for the boat.

velo

Visit site
agree with ken sony portable buy cassetes from charity shops 2or 3 fror£1 small dabs use up batts very dicy reception but radio 7 worth it,ever thought of car radio minidisc sytem,better sound than mp3 you can record from home cds,picked up hardly used one £250 worth, £15 ebay.

davel

Visit site
Thanks to all for the advice.
Sounds like DAB reception should be OK and I'm not too concerned about the darin on my battery so I'll probably give it a go.

Burnham_Bob

Visit site
as far as FM ariels go I've always got away with a good length of coax - and as the boat is fibreglass it can run along inside.......

so maybe your new DAB would work with that