D4 260s engine won't start

mjcrum302

Visit site
Hi All,

Looking any ideas/input you might have on this one. In summary, I did an over-night trip and was not able to get the starboard engine to start this morning. No mains / generator available over-night; so running off batteries.

My Sealine S34 has 2 D4 260s. Battery config is 1 for port engine starting, 2 for combined domestic and starboard engine starting and then 1 for bow-thruster.

At night, I have gotten in to the habit of turning off the port battery isolator, turning off the cockpit fridge and setting the galley fridge to a low setting. Did this as normal last night. This morning I did my usual sequence of
- Start the port engine. Worked ok.
- Then start the starboard engine. I got nothing (no crank) when I did this but instead a 'retrieving errors' and 'check manual / check engine' error message. I didn't have time for pics but I swear the error came up on the port display.
- I reset turned the key off/on for the starboard engine and tried again. Same error. Did that again but this time I pressed the 'batter link solenoid.' Again nothing happened.
- This time I had the engine bay hatch open and could hear a clicking noise that kept going after I had stopped trying to start.
- I turned the battery isolator off for the starboard to get it to stop. It did. However doing that also stopped the port engine.
- Two things here:
- I assumed the battery link not working points to something other than battery
- I was not expecting turning of the starboard battery isolator to stop the port engine.

Anyways I started the port engine again, didn't try the starboard and got us back to the marine.

At this point I didn't try starting the starboard again. Wish I had.

I connected the boat to the mains, turned on the charger and left it all for 30mins.

Came back and both engines started fine. Turned off/on a few times, left it etc ... but no issue. All starting!

Any one any ideas/comments on the above?

Andyroonot

Visit site
The fault code(s) might help if you can get a Vodia plugged in & retrieve them

If the stbd side has lost power whilst cranking (due to the batteries being shot or a poor connection somewhere) and the power drops out at the helm then the port side may well alarm because it has lost comm’s with a previously visible control unit; in this case, the stbd side HCU.

What are your engine serial numbers & where is the boat?

mjcrum302

Visit site
Thanks All. The SB batteries were replaced June'23. Tested out ok at the start of this season. Boat is on Lough Erne., NI. Not sure on serial nos. What can you tell from them Andy? I have had the boat4 years and never has been connected to Vodia.