D1-30 Air filter info

Ripster

Visit site
Peops may well already be aware but K&N make a small cylinder air filter that fits straight on to a VP D1-30 (and probably other VP engines that have the same air inlet diameter) to replace the OE filter box. It is less than a third of the price of the VP OE part and is just as effective at filtering air. So I decided to take a punt and try one. The K&N pt no RC-0890.

BUT.... though it works fine and fits perfectly, unsurprisingly, there is a significant increase in induction roar (I did think there might be as I know K&N products from my bike and car days). If you can put up with it (I couldn't in a sailing boat) then its a cheap and effective replacement for OE. For me, I am sticking with the OE quiet version for now, unless anyone else has an equivalent alternative.

theoldsalt

Visit site
The "air filter" on most marine diesels is really designed as an intake silencer and does not provide significant filtering as this is not necessary because the air is much cleaner than that being sucked into road vehicle engines. Filters designed for road going engines can sometimes be unsuitable as they may restrict the air supply and, as you have discovered, often very noisy.

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
The "air filter" on most marine diesels is really designed as an intake silencer and does not provide significant filtering

That's true for many, especially older ones. But the D1-30 unit is a large box that I'm fairly sure does contain an actual filter element. There's a service schedule for replacing it, which wouldn't make sense if it was just a box.

Pete

pvb

Visit site
That's true for many, especially older ones. But the D1-30 unit is a large box that I'm fairly sure does contain an actual filter element. There's a service schedule for replacing it, which wouldn't make sense if it was just a box.

Just because Volvo Penta suggest a replacement cycle doesn't mean you have to follow it. I have a D1-30 and was chatting to a VP dealer technician the other day and he said that they don't automatically replace air filters, because of their cost (£50+), but examine them and only change them if they look dirty. As most boat engines don't run in dirty environments, the filters rarely need replacing.

prv

Visit site
Just because Volvo Penta suggest a replacement cycle doesn't mean you have to follow it.

Indeed, but it shows it's a filter rather than just a box.

he said that they don't automatically replace air filters, because of their cost (£50+), but examine them

How do they examine a D1-30 filter? Saw the box in half and then glue it up again afterwards?

Pete

grafozz

Visit site
I used 2 of these ,and made adaptor s from ali sheet £7.99 e bay .
they do reduce induction roar well .
Universal Blue Finish Car Air Filter Induction Kit High Power Sports Mesh Cone
Universal Blue Finish Car Air Filter Induction Kit High Power Sports Mesh Cone

Ripster

Visit site
Similar to the k&n unit. I think you would need to have a boxed or enclosed filter to match the noise performance of the OE box. If there was a way of creating that using a washable or cheaply replaceable inner then that is ideal. this is a work in progress.