cutlass bearing

Seapepper

Visit site
I recently fitted a new prop, shaft and cutlass bearing (in a P bracket)
On first running the engine afloat and going into gear, there was a terrible juddering vibration. Stopped everything. Nothing round the prop, checked engine alignment OK. On rotating shaft by hand the jerky juddering could be felt. Put it all back together. No change when in gear. Let it run for a few seconds and juddering got less until it stopped altogether. Question is....Is this normal? Do cutlass bearings need to run in for a few minutes...or new shafts for that matter? should I have greased the shaft / cutlass first?
Any help or reassurance would be helpful.
John

RayJones

Visit site
The cutlass bearing is water lubricated and I would suggest that it may have been a little too snug a fit and as a result the water took a little longer than normal to penetrate. Having run it in you now have water in the bearing and all should be ok.
Regards Ray Jones

G

In years past I had a Dehler 31 with a rubber boot on the inboard side of the cutlass bearing. I was advised on launching (after a prolonged period ashore) to squeeze the boot by hand until water appeared. I cannot recall if this was before or after starting engine. But as stated in previous posting, some cutlass bearings do not easily self-lubricate with water.