Customs charges

G

I bought a GPS from Westamarine. Cost $109. The duty I had to pay this end was about £15. If you go ahead, don't have it sent by air mail. Use the DHL option - you may be lucky! A word of warning, not all US VHF's are compatible/legal in the UK.

G

BE CAREFUL some U.S. channel numbers do not correspond exactly with ours, ensure any set you buy has a change over switch. The duty is 20% I believe, although they may waive it on the grounds of it being safety equipment

G

I am considering buying a VHF from West Marine. It will cost me 150US, does anybody have any idea what sort of charges I can expect in respect of Duty/VAT. By the time I have paid these would I have been better off purchasing in the UK?

G

Don't!!

West Marine are great - I have bought tons from them - But GPS's work anywhere - US VHF frequencies are very very slightly different to ours and it won't work properly!

Also don't bother if it's not GMDSS - this is coming in faster than people realise - a normal VHF will be obsolete in no time now. Better to buy a UK GMDSS set - will cost u more - but save you a lot in the long run.

G

I heard all this about US spec VHF and didnt buy one because of this. But last summer i saw the set i was going to buy on a boat on the next pontoon. Asked some questions he was very impressed. Can,t remember the model-fixed set about £160 and it had built in GPS.He got his sent by snail mail not DHL and avoided tax.