Cryptosporidium how to clean water tanks?

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
It’s chlorine resistant though, that’s the problem!
Resistant to the quantities they can use in drinking water (1-2 ppm) and short contact time (a few minutes) from the head works to the first customer. Not chlorine proof at the 20-40 time higher and long treatment times (8-24 hours) public health authorities recommend for sanitizing.

These two treatment schemes are literally 1000 times different. No one has said the cysts are chlorine-proof, only resistant to amounts you should drink.

Trident

Visit site
Where are you going to discharge your several hundred litres of 5% hypochlorite? Whilst I appreciate that in the whole ocean it’s tiny quantity - we would all criticise any commercial operation that dirched
I'm not suggesting anyone do anything - the question was asked how to kill it and the answer I gave is how to kill it. I said for myself its not needed as I have a Seagull filter so can have ebola in my tanks and still drink it fine .

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I'm not suggesting anyone do anything - the question was asked how to kill it and the answer I gave is how to kill it. I said for myself its not needed as I have a Seagull filter so can have ebola in my tanks and still drink it fine .

Maybe. Maybe not.

Seagull filters are not rated as microbial purifiers. I've asked them why and they didn't have an answer. Check NSF listings (NSF ANSI 231). NSF Standards for Water Treatment Systems

Others do.
The other thing to remember is that ANY filter can develop and internal leak, perhaps at a seal. If you suspect the water you should also chlorinate. Belt and suspenders.

Or just don't worry about it. WHO experiencing based on workers in the 3rd world says that water at their quarters is only a small part of their total exposure. Local food and drink. People. Air. You can't live in a bubble.

Laysula

www.stevehuntdrivinginstructor.co.uk
Before you go to the trouble of cleaning tanks out see if you can get it tested first. Have a word with Martyn at the office he may well have a bit more clout than an individual regarding this.I also think that it's just higher Brixham which has been affected but sww are taking no chances.
Got to apologise. The guy on the boat in front of me was down last weekend and has had an upset tum all week, so it may well be in the marina pipework.

oldbloke

Visit site
The other thing is the cryptosporidium is not Belgian Customs looking for signs of red diesel. I don't know the amont without looking it up, but you need quite a few (million?) to infect you so perfection in cleaning is not required

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
The other thing is the cryptosporidium is not Belgian Customs looking for signs of red diesel. I don't know the amont without looking it up, but you need quite a few (million?) to infect you so perfection in cleaning is not required
2 to 10. That's individuals, not millions. It's a parasite, not a virus or bacterium.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Yes its hard to kill - you can go 3% on hydrogen peroxide but still a lot - my tanks are 900L so an even bigger problem but swimming pool powdered chlorine will need considerably less than liquid bleach

In my case the Seagull filter protects from all so I'll just empty and fill the tanks a few times next time I get to a good supply and not worry much more than that.
My 40 gallon aft tank on my Bene here in Portugal was getting a bit musty so i dropped in half a cup of Portuguese household bleach and refilled. It was a very swimming pooly for the first half use, then a top up and its all smelling sweet now.
Very unscientific I know but hey ho!

howardclark

Visit site
I checked NOSS Marina postcode- where we are- with South West Water and the advice is still boil the water. I’ve got old water in the tanks any definitely not putting any more in until this is well over. Managing with bottled water until then

mogmog2

www.spidery.force9.co.uk
AIUI bleach/hypochlorites are highly toxic to aquatic life and I read the abstract & summary and nothing jumped out of this that said otherwise. If you're able to translate into O level chemistry if they actually found it's now OK to discharge I'd be interested to hear as I would like to hit our (non crypytosporidium) tank with a shock dose of something that I can easily dispose of. Thanks.

ylop

Visit site

AIUI bleach/hypochlorites are highly toxic to aquatic life and I read the abstract & summary and nothing jumped out of this that said otherwise. If you're able to translate into O level chemistry if they actually found it's now OK to discharge I'd be interested to hear as I would like to hit our (non crypytosporidium) tank with a shock dose of something that I can easily dispose of. Thanks.
I have only partially skimmed the paper but it looked like they were decomposing bleach by heating it to 60 deg C for 24h… but if you had the ability to heat your water tank to that temp for that long you wouldn’t need the bleach!

C08

Visit site
I have asked SWW for advice on cleaning out my two flexible tanks and the scientific dept are going to phone me back later today. I will be interested in their advice on this as there will be hundreds of boats in Brixham and Darmouth affected by this.

Beneteau381

Visit site
I have only partially skimmed the paper but it looked like they were decomposing bleach by heating it to 60 deg C for 24h… but if you had the ability to heat your water tank to that temp for that long you wouldn’t need the bleach!
Seawater, composed of sodium, chlorine, oxygen and hydrogen. Bleach composed of sodium, chhlorine, hydrogen and oxygen. (at 5%) Hmm!

lustyd

Visit site
nobody is that ill informed are they?
Plenty of people. I recall a chap near Portsmouth burning down a paediatrician's house in the early 2000's and spraying "Pedo" on their car. Apparently he'd been in the news for something and the article included his job title...

ylop

Visit site
Plenty of people. I recall a chap near Portsmouth burning down a paediatrician's house in the early 2000's and spraying "Pedo" on their car. Apparently he'd been in the news for something and the article included his job title...
Sorry I should have said “nobody on here”