Cruising Tunisia - any tips or thoughts?

alex23299

Visit site
Aiming for a week-long visit in early May, partly for a VAT stamp... I can't get hold of the old RCC/Imray pilot book, and the new one is not out till later this year.
Any ideas and tips about good harbours, places to visit, security?

HenrikH

Visit site
Stamped in Bizerte in 2018. The Marina was ok, few boats. Police and Customs «selling» documents (doubt it is needed as long as you can document marina fee). The town also ok, nothing particular. We only stayed two days, too short for making it down to Chartage.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Looks like there's about 60 entries for Tunisia in Imray Explore, so it might be worth checking out the free trial.

The information is a bit scant - only a almanac level of detail. Phone numbers for harbourmasters and the odd chartlet.

It looks like they've digitised Rod and Lucinda Heikell's Mediterranean Almanac, but presumably they're waiting until the new edition of the North Africa book is out before adding that to Explore. Other areas are much more comprehensive.

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
I lived in Tunisia 1995~2000 and kept a boat in Monastir, which is a good base to explore the country from by hire car. Back then Tunisia was a petty dictatorship and the people were warm and friendly.
I went back there 2006~2012 and witnessed the Arab spring and a deteriorating security situation. I requested a transfer on the grounds I was concerned for my safety. What the security situation is like now I don't know.
Tunisia is a beautiful country with the tail end of the Atlas mountains in the north, the great sand sea in the south, vineyards galore, millions of acres of olive trees, the orange groves of the Cap Bon peninsula and Roman ruins everywhere. It really is a shame what politics and religion have done to the country.

bill bligh

Visit site
Have a look at (Sailing Gently) YouTube. He did a bit about Tunisia I think it was in one of his Mediterranean videos. I cant find it now so have look for your self or try to email him.(y)