Cruising Time

G

s'pose it depends how fast your boat is but I seem to recall my 8 knotter does it in about a tide.

ChrisP

Visit site
I usually try to time it to arrive at tower bridge at the top of the tide. I've always found that pushing the last of the flood pays dividends when you get to the bottom especially if you need the protection of the land going round the foreland in a S/Westerly. Also use the Princes rather than the M/gate sands, always seems to give a smoother ride and more interesting for the crew.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Interesting that you use Princess Channel rather than the 'overland' route, I know several people use that route but it does add about 30 minutes to the journey from St Kats to Ramsgate. I always assumed they do so to avoid the E.Last channel where there is no room for error. I like to go 'overland' because one gets the protection of the Margate Sands in adverse winds.

ô¿ô
www.education-jobs.co.uk
www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

ChrisP

Visit site
Always seem to get an uncomfortable short chop over the sands in any sort of interesting weather and I've seen too many people literaly go overland at the bottom of the water. The navigation is easier in the princes so I get a rest from watching the cross track error on the leg down from the Spile, and Di loves a bit of bouy hopping with the kids.
Never found the extra time a problem realy as I enjoy the trip rather than the arrival. If I just wanted to be in Ramsgate I'd take the car and rent a room. It'd probably be cheaper too.

Chris

ChrisP

Visit site
When your running fuel miserly Fords rather than the gas guzler Volvo 30 mins is another G&T. But your perfectly correct we are digressing, but in my defense he does mention going round the point at a later date.

Chris