Cruising Syria

annamals

Visit site
Hi everyone, we were thinking of maybe heading to Syria over the summer. Has anyone been/got any advice of where to go and what to avoid?

Many thanks in advance

Rich and Anna

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Errr.......things to avoid. Suicide bombers perhaps. Give it a miss. Think Chandlers.

Completely untrue. I have not sailed to Syria, although quite a few CA members have and found it to be welcoming and enjoyable, but I have worked there briefly. A truly super place, Damascus in particular, and the people I was with were very pleasant indeed. It is one of the safest places I have ever visited, and I've been to many. We were wandering around the souk at near midnight, with gold merchants displaying their wares on trays outside the shops, completely unguarded. The explanation was that there are so many secret police that nobody takes any risks at all, so crime is virtually unknown. Be that as it may, we felt totally safe at all times. Very unlike some of the other places I've been, which cruisers would visit without a second thought.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
Errr.......things to avoid. Suicide bombers perhaps. Give it a miss. Think Chandlers.
Hang about, what have the Chandlers to do with the Mediterranean? They were abducted in the Indian Ocean by Somalis. Syria's coastline is a thousand miles away and borders Turkey and Lebanon with no record (to my knowledge) of pirate activity - other than in the Souks.

A delightful place to visit, as I found with a business trip (alas only hotel and office experiences) and definitely on my cruising wish-list.

rigman

Visit site
Hang about, what have the Chandlers to do with the Mediterranean? They were abducted in the Indian Ocean by Somalis. Syria's coastline is a thousand miles away and borders Turkey and Lebanon with no record (to my knowledge) of pirate activity - other than in the Souks.

A delightful place to visit, as I found with a business trip (alas only hotel and office experiences) and definitely on my cruising wish-list.

Of course I know where Syria is. I have worked there.
I mentioned the poor Chandlers as a case of people who were warned and unforunately didnt take heed.
You may be intested in the below which is from the UK Gov's travel advisory
Travel Summary

•There are media reports of an explosion in the Sayeda Zeinab district of Damascus on the morning of 3 December 2009. The Syrian Interior Minister has stated that this incident was not a terrorist attack, but that it was caused by an accidental explosion of a tyre on the bus; three people have been killed. This advice will be updated as the situation becomes clearer.

•There is a general threat from terrorism. Attacks cannot be ruled out and could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers. Previously, on 27 September 2008 a car bomb exploded on a main road outside a military facility in Damascus. Seventeen people were killed and many injured.

•Developments in the region may trigger public unrest. You should take care to avoid demonstrations, which can turn hostile, and be particularly vigilant in public places.

•You should not attempt to enter Iraq via the Syrian border, which is subject to restrictions on both sides.

•28 British nationals required consular assistance in Syria in the period 01 April 2008 – 31 March 2009 for the following types of incident; hospitalisations (3 cases); and arrests, for a variety of offences (10 cases). During this period assistance was also requested with regard to lost or stolen passports (9 cases) and for child abduction cases.

•The British Embassy in Damascus offers a full consular service, but by appointment only. See the General (Consular and Public Services) section of this advice, or the British Embassy website.

•We recommend that you obtain comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling to Syria. You should check any exclusions, and that your policy covers you for all the activities you want to undertake. See the General (Insurance) section of this advice and our Travel Insurance page.

Safety and security

Terrorism

There is a general threat from terrorism. Attacks cannot be ruled out and could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers.

On 27 September a car bomb exploded outside a military facility at the intersection of the Airport Road and Damascus South Circular Road in Damascus. Seventeen people were killed and many injured.

On 12 February 2008 an explosion in a car in the Damascus neighbourhood of Kaffr Sousseh killed one person and injured several others. The target of the attack was Imad Mughniyeh, Head of Lebanese Hizballah's military wing.

You should be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate terrorist attacks, which could be against civilian targets including places frequented by foreigners.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Of course I know where Syria is. I have worked there.
I mentioned the poor Chandlers as a case of people who were warned and unforunately didnt take heed.
You may be intested in the below which is from the UK Gov's travel advisory
Travel Summary

•There are media reports of an explosion in the Sayeda Zeinab district of Damascus on the morning of 3 December 2009. The Syrian Interior Minister has stated that this incident was not a terrorist attack, but that it was caused by an accidental explosion of a tyre on the bus; three people have been killed. This advice will be updated as the situation becomes clearer.

•There is a general threat from terrorism. Attacks cannot be ruled out and could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers. Previously, on 27 September 2008 a car bomb exploded on a main road outside a military facility in Damascus. Seventeen people were killed and many injured.

•Developments in the region may trigger public unrest. You should take care to avoid demonstrations, which can turn hostile, and be particularly vigilant in public places.

•You should not attempt to enter Iraq via the Syrian border, which is subject to restrictions on both sides.

•28 British nationals required consular assistance in Syria in the period 01 April 2008 – 31 March 2009 for the following types of incident; hospitalisations (3 cases); and arrests, for a variety of offences (10 cases). During this period assistance was also requested with regard to lost or stolen passports (9 cases) and for child abduction cases.

•The British Embassy in Damascus offers a full consular service, but by appointment only. See the General (Consular and Public Services) section of this advice, or the British Embassy website.

•We recommend that you obtain comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling to Syria. You should check any exclusions, and that your policy covers you for all the activities you want to undertake. See the General (Insurance) section of this advice and our Travel Insurance page.

Safety and security

Terrorism

There is a general threat from terrorism. Attacks cannot be ruled out and could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers.

On 27 September a car bomb exploded outside a military facility at the intersection of the Airport Road and Damascus South Circular Road in Damascus. Seventeen people were killed and many injured.

On 12 February 2008 an explosion in a car in the Damascus neighbourhood of Kaffr Sousseh killed one person and injured several others. The target of the attack was Imad Mughniyeh, Head of Lebanese Hizballah's military wing.

You should be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate terrorist attacks, which could be against civilian targets including places frequented by foreigners.

Two or maybe three explosions in the past three years. So, much safer than Northern Ireland, then;) Having visited Venezuela, where we had two armed guards with us all the time, Buenos Aires, where we were advised not to stray from a relatively small area of the city, Nigeria, where we couldn't leave the hotel, Gabon, quite risky at times, we found Syria to be very restful.

rigman

Visit site
Two or maybe three explosions in the past three years. So, much safer than Northern Ireland, then;) Having visited Venezuela, where we had two armed guards with us all the time, Buenos Aires, where we were advised not to stray from a relatively small area of the city, Nigeria, where we couldn't leave the hotel, Gabon, quite risky at times, we found Syria to be very restful.

Whatever turns you on. Personally I have seen enough of the Middle East to last several lifetimes. I think I will stick to pottering around the Ionian.

I agree with what you say, however, that its all relative. I would feel safer in downtown Bagdhad or Kabul than parts of Browns Broken Britain at a weekend.

Roaring Girl

On the boat. But sadly right now she's in Malta w
www.sailblogs.com
Well both Syria and Britain seem to be being judged on particular bits of coverage which are not representative.

The FO guidance reads very like that for Morocco just before we went there in 2007 and we had less than no hassle. And as for the arguments about saturday binge drinkers - of course it happens but actually they're by far the biggest danger to each other.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Whatever turns you on. Personally I have seen enough of the Middle East to last several lifetimes. I think I will stick to pottering around the Ionian.
This is where the real problem lies , people get as far as the Ionian or in some case bu.y boats there and that where they stay ,
now there nothing wrong with that but please don't judge over countrys that in late years you not been too and put others off for exploring these great places.
We in Tunisia at the moment our four time here and I fed up to the teeth hear people going on how dangerous Tunisia is , how women can't walk out alone with being borthed by men , totally rubbish as it pointed out it's more dangerous in London and Paris then its in some Northern Africa country .
How many boats got broken into in Greece last year , five I know of and two dinghy stolen plus one yacht stolen that what I know for sure .
Here in Tunisia we still leave our companion door open when we go out .

rigman

Visit site
Best of luck. I seem to remember a beach massacre in Tunisia not so long ago. On the news today. Two girl backpackers beheaded by ISIS in Morocco. I will take my chances in Greece with having my dinghy stolen.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Best of luck. I seem to remember a beach massacre in Tunisia not so long ago. On the news today. Two girl backpackers beheaded by ISIS in Morocco. I will take my chances in Greece with having my dinghy stolen.

Your right to pointing the Tunisia beach Attack if I remember remember right that was in 2015 , since then on our own doorstep we had London Bridge Westminster bridge Manchester Areara and the London bombing and countless more plus the Brussels bombing and the Paris just to mention a few more and many that's been stop .
But for tho who want to play it 75% safe then maybe best to stay in Greece or where ever you feel safe .
Point I was making is , people are quick run places as unsafe for cruising they should at less go there first and see for them self .

Resolution

Visit site
I must remember to look at the date before reading the comments! Particularly the comment about Brown's Busted Britain, which left me wondering who is trying to pin the blame for Brexit on him.

FWIW, here is the current FO advice on travelling to Syria:
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to Syria. British nationals in Syria should leave by any practical means. The UK has suspended all services of the British Embassy in Damascus and all diplomatic staff have been withdrawn from Syria. The FCO is not able to provide consular services.

The situation remains extremely volatile and dangerous. High levels of violence persist throughout Syria, including full scale military operations involving the use of small arms, tanks, artillery and aircraft. A number of chemical weapons attacks have taken place across Syria. Estimates suggest that over 470,000 people have been killed in the Syria conflict, including over 55,000 children.

The Syrian regime does not exercise control of significant parts of Syria, notably in the north, south and east of the country. A small area of eastern Syria remains under the effective control of Daesh (formerly referred to as ISIL), which is fiercely hostile to the United Kingdom.

Fighting has at various times caused the temporary suspension of commercial flights, closed roads, impeded access to land border crossing points and led to the closure of some border crossings.

Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in Syria. See Terrorism. Continued attacks across Syria including in major cities, have left large numbers of people dead or injured.

There is a very high threat of kidnapping throughout Syria. There have been a number of kidnappings, including of British nationals and other Westerners, including by Daesh (formerly referred to as ISIL).

If you choose to travel to Syria against FCO advice, you should make sure you and any dependents have valid exit stamps on your travel documents if you need one and take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance.

Not too encouraging.:nightmare:

moomba

N/A
Visit site
the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to Syria. ... The FCO is not able to provide consular services. The situation remains extremely volatile and dangerous.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/syria

If you have insurance it will be null as they take the foreign office advice , medical evac, potentially nil as again your insurance is null as your entering a war zone, and been told by your government not to go
If the Foreign office tells yu not to go and you get your self into trouble even loosing a passport, getting mugged , etc,
you insurance will be null
Yes we can all take advice from those before the war started who will say it was fine dont listen to the Government , but its your risk and if shit hits the fan I would not expect any sympathy from the British Government to help out a sailboat crew who were told not to go.
And please remember that the russian Naval presence is large now as they have taken over many ports , this gives then access to the med and I would assume they will be helping Syria patrol its waters, Can you speak Russian :D