cruising southern norway

omega

Visit site
can anyone help with my planning a cruise from n.e. england to south norway? I need to find charts/pilot, secure mooring to leave the boat 2/3 weeks after delivery and before return, means of transport to ferry, any means of arranging low cost ferry crew changes.
We plan to spend two weeks cruising - two of us in 39ft motor sailer - any experiences to recommend areas to aim for or avoid?

tomboy352

Visit site
I have cruised the coast of Norway from Nr. Trondeim (NW) to near Oslo (NE) during the last two summers. If you wish to phone me on 01427 873727 either tonight or Sunday night , I will gladly offer suggestions where possible.
Chris.

Starspinner

Visit site
Batsportcarts come in packs covering a long section of coast. they can be bought here from the chart agents but are on sale in large bookshops there. We bought charts we didnt need through over optimism but the charts are excelent and very easy to handle and use and very necessary if you intend to go rockhopping on the inner channels.

Viking

Visit site
Hi a great place to cruise!

If you cross to say Stavanger (s-w coast) you can use the Fjordline car ferry to Newscastle. If you cruise north you could use the two other Fjordline ferry stopping ports of Haugesund and Bergen for crew changes (all have airports). Going north the coast is protected by a long chain of islands and you would be going up along the spectacular high fjord area of Norway. All connections along this coast are by bus. If you do go north and you get up as far as Ålesund I be happy to by you a beer.
If you venture south you will be heading for the pretty lower landscape area of Norway. Once round the southern tip connections are by bus and train via Oslo.

There are many small, cheap and safe marinas in all directions.

The Båtsportcarts 'Starspinner' mentioned are very good. I have a catalogue I could send you. But if 'Tomboy' as made the trip, he maybe of more help being on your side of the North Sea.

If I can help in any way please let me know!

HaraldS

www.taniwani.eu
sailed there for the last two seasons. my new personal favorite, including things like Carribian and Med. I'm sure I will go there gain some day.
The mentioned sportboat charts are excellent and in a nice envelop to take to the cockpit. I also had some larger ones to have an overview. The thing that beat any chart I had was the electronic C-map, Norway is their home territory, so the were probably particularly good in accuracy and detail.
Next best detail, and almost a must to have, are the little chartlets in the Norwegian Pilot books, the somewhat pricy "Den Norske Los". They are definitely worth their money.
Not possible to marvel about the many beatiful places we visited in a short post, but happy to tell you some of our favorites if you like.

CLP

Visit site
We cruised western Norway last summer and it was wonderful. Bergen Yacht Club is about 5 miles south of Bergen, near the airport at Hjellistad and is a great place to leave a boat. Very friendly and all facilities with pontoon berths. There are several boat club/marinas at Stavanger also where one can leave the boat for a while. The ferry from Newcastle goes to Stavanger and Bergen. For navigation I found the Norwegian charts brilliant. These can be bought in bookshops in Norway. Den Norske Los is very good too and is in English (but not north of Rorvik). We are presently in Hartlepool hoping to return to Scandinavia this summer. Get in touch if you want more background.