Cruising security in Italy Greece and Malta

sunshinesailing

Visit site
What does the current unrest in Tunisia, Libya and Egypt and the resulting evacuation of foreigners and the flood of refugees from these countries into Italy, Greece and Malta mean for those who intend to cruise Italy, Greece and Malta starting in a few short weeks?

Will this unrest affect wintering next winter in marinas in southern Sicily, mainland Italy and southern Greece?

Will yachtsmen stay away?

tri39

www.sailblogs.com
Will this unrest affect wintering next winter in marinas in southern Sicily, mainland Italy and southern Greece?
Will yachtsmen stay away?

I suppose Tunisa may not be so popular next winter.
The yachts already in marinas you mention are unlikely to leave.

The Balkan wars did not have much effect apart from the yachts who left Croatia.
This assumes I suppose that Libya does not descend into prolonged civil war.

I feel really sorry for the Libyans, but in the long run we may finally be able to sail to Leptis Magna!

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>can't imagine there would be any noticable effect.

You are correct the Italians will continue to steal from boats but not so much as the French. We were warned to lock everyhing in Italy but that is true in most countries.

Wife of Lofticus

Visit site
Which takes us back to the perennial debate of more security makes your boat and belongings more secure or just results in more damage when they take what they want anyway !

Speaking as one who decided to buy a strong lock to attach outboard to pushpit only to find the b****** cut through the pushpit with boltcroppers!
Doubling the insurance claim and all the hassle of removing pushpit for repair!

Grrrr.....

silver-fox

yacht.silverfox.googlepages.com
I have kept my boat in Hammamet in Tunisia for the last 3 years. There are 800 or so boats in the marina and I am told that 3 left during the troubles. It may be that more go as contracts expire but there does not seem to be any great exodus. Libya and Egypt aren't the host to many visitors' boats so there shouldn't be much effect from boats leaving there either.

I have also to report that Hammamet is one of the few marinas I have visited where you don't have to keep everything under lock and key any sort of theft is a rarity.

blueglass

Visit site
I have kept my boat in Hammamet in Tunisia for the last 3 years. There are 800 or so boats in the marina and I am told that 3 left during the troubles. It may be that more go as contracts expire but there does not seem to be any great exodus. Libya and Egypt aren't the host to many visitors' boats so there shouldn't be much effect from boats leaving there either.

I have also to report that Hammamet is one of the few marinas I have visited where you don't have to keep everything under lock and key any sort of theft is a rarity.

Unless I misunderstood, I think the OP is concerned about security in Greece Italy and Turkey, not in the Arab countries. He is (I think without cause) concerned that the refugees from those troubled areas (not boat crews) will for some reason end up in Greece Italy and Turkey to rob our boats. I don't think its an issue.

nickf

Visit site
"Will this unrest affect wintering next winter in marinas in southern Sicily, mainland Italy and southern Greece? "

keep away there be dragons!

Last edited: