Cruising / racing in Oz

G

Has anybody cruised the East coast of Oz that could tell me of welcoming yacht clubs that would welcome a fleet of die hard racers who will be doing a special event set up specially for boats under 30ft LOA culminating in the ultimate prize crossing of Bass Strait with a finish line in the River Derwent !!!!! we are looking for about 10 different stopovers from Sydney going south, I hope. Before somebody critcises me of being a wreckless individual think about the guy who first sent it to me, hes from Oz and tried unsuccessfully to cross the Bass Strait in a Hunter 19 !!!! The boat got swamped and he had to bail out so he bought a Sonata and apparently does it for fun at most times of the year. If enough boats can be persuaded onto the start line in Feb / March 2004 then we'll go for it. Expected to last around 2 - 3 weeks depending on how many inshore races we decide to in clude but there will possibly be an inshore day of races at most clubs if we're not too far behind schedule. Shipping etc.. can be arranged and will be done on a how many want some serious fun with their own boats......... the rest as they say is up to you ........ mail me direct at David@Bowdler99.Freeserve.co.uk

BrianJ

Visit site
David ... I live in Melbourne, I have "done" the East Coast many times , also crossed Bass Strait many times. I will contact you direct. BUT believe me I wouldn't do it in a Sonata. !!!!!!
BrianJ

TonyMills

Visit site
Hi David

You may consider contacting the Australian Yachting Federation at www.yachting.org.au They would be able to put you in touch with various clubs along your route.

At about the same time as your proposed cruise their is an organised cruise in company between Sydney and Hobart stopping off at several ports on the way. You may be able to link up with that event rather than reinvent everything. I dont have details of the event but the Yachting Federation should be able to put you right, if not give me a hoi on Tony_Mills@bigpond.com and I'll see what I can track down.

I'd love to join you but I doubt I could get my boat across from WA, what with the costs and all!

Regards
TonyM