cruising Crete

rigpigpaul

Visit site
Hi all,
I am planning a 4 week cruise to Crete from the Bodrum area. One week to Crete and one week back to Bodrum. It will be in June/July or September. I know the trip will be weather dependent but which is the best way to approach Crete? Through the Greek islands arriving on the west coast and back past Rhodes or the reverse. Any bad bits to watch out for? My wife loves cruising but does not like rough seas so I am trying to avoid them. Any 'must see' gems to visit while we are there?
Thanks in anticipation.
RPP

Tony Cross

Visit site
First off, you'll want my pilot for Crete: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yr174gkjcid5ojt/Crete%20Pilot.pdf?dl=0.

Avoid being here, or en-route, during Meltemi weather. The straits at each end become extremely uncomfortable, even dangerous, when a strong Meltemi is blowing, and the entire north coast of the island is bumpy, wet, and no fun to sail. The locals don't sail here in July and August and those visitors who do generally wish they hadn't bothered. ;)

The general prevailing wind in summer is from the north-west so it's easier to approach Crete from the western end across the Kithera strait. Sailing eastwards along the north coast of Crete is then very pleasant and with an easy run up past Rhodes on the way back. Sailing westwards along the north coast almost always turns into a beat.

IMO the best time to visit Crete is after the Meltemi has ended, in late September and October the weather is generally very settled, though quite calm and you might be motor sailing. Crete tends to be a magnification of the whole Med really - there is either no wind or way too much!

Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything else. I'm in Agios Nikolaos on the eastern end of Crete so if you fancy meeting up for a beer let me know. :)

grumpygit

Visit site
Your route of course will be dependant on the weather. We did Tilos, Karpathos, Kasos and into Sitia.
Not the most comfortable trip for us, the winds and seas can be unpredictable around the island.
Fantastic island but not the easiest of sails. We only did along the North coast and it was always big sails between ports.
There is less on the South side of the island with more trickier of sails involved. TC has a lot more experience of the pit falls and he will no doubt be along presently with more local knowledge.