cruising chutes

Amari

Visit site
On our recently purchased Wauquiez Pretorian 35 in Turkey we have 2 spinnakers, 1 heavy and 1 light but are unlikely to use them [we being past the first flush of youth]. D'you think they could be modified to beccome cruising chutes/gennakers?
Thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>Giles

William_H

Visit site
It is unlikely you could use the spinnackers as they are because they have a symetrical shape with probably broad shoulders where on a genacker you want a luff that is essentially straight. I would suggest try the smaller spinnacker as is on a pole in light conditions and see if you casn manage it. I had one very large spin which I reduced dramatically in size by folding vertically (ie left hand side over to the right hand side)in half and sewing with a standard machine a line from the top to a point about 1 metre from the fold. This dimension determines the amount of area reduction. Actually do several lines of sewing. Then cut the section of cloth from the middle fold to the sew line. What you have done is reduce the spinn area by reducing the width. This makes the spinn much easier to manage as a spinnacker. Incidentally its my opinion that most spinnacker poles are too heavy especially for light weather down wind which is what I imagine you would use it for. Consider a lighter pole.
If you really want a genacker with a straight luff, no pole then suggest you ask your sail maker about recutting or you might consider simply cutting the spinnacker in 2 down the middle but you will have to fit an eye at the tack with reinforcing. Good luck will

<hr width=100% size=1>

flaming

Visit site
Spinnakers are not the black art they're often made out to be. With the right techniques and a bit of practice they are fairly easily tamed.

Not sure about the view expressed that poles are too heavy. Are you using a pole uphall? The weight of the pole should be almost irrelvent because the spinnaker should never support the weight of the pole, this will destroy the shape of the sail and make it impossible to trim.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Amari

Visit site
Thanks all. Yes we have an uphaul but the pole looks heavy and of course I worry about getting it down in sudden squalls etc. Think I mioght try a lighter pole and cut one sail in half
Giles

<hr width=100% size=1>Giles

samuel

Visit site
Actually
cruising chutes do not need a straight luff.
Goacher sails made one for me but made the mistake of getting the luff length wrong. They made it for the wrong boat.It took me 16 months & a letter from the RYA solicitor to get my cash back.
HOWEVER, the theory is that by curving the luff--Mine hade about 2.400 curve in a stretched luff of 11.000 metres. you can run much better than with a standard cruising chute. In fact you can almost run dead down wind. Mine would have worked fine if they had got the size correct.
To be fair if they had not made a mistake the sail would have been very good.
If you try to experiment with a spinnaker you need one with a much longer luff length than a spinnaker luff from the same boat. The foot of the sail needs to reach right down to the deck without pulling the luff tight. The sheeted clew needs to be cut higher than the tack.( like a reaching sail) As the sail fills you ease foot to let it fly up a bit & ease the sheet a bit. If the luff is too short to start with ( As mine was) by the time it fills it is too far off the deck for stability. Then what happens is that as the boat rolls the sail swings from side to side & collapses. you have to sheet in the foot downhaul & sheet & start all over again. If you want to use a spinnaker you need one off a bigger boat . You could try one without cutting it & if it works then you could play about with the scissors. Alternatively, if you have a 29 foot boat then I am sure Goacher sails will flog you a good cruising chute at less than new price

<hr width=100% size=1>Justisla

sailorman

Visit site
i belive your boat has the same rig as our Oyster 37 ( Holman & Pye ).
although the pole is quite heavy ( I nearly have a grey beard ) when on a long-enough leg we, wife + Capt will hoist Tri-radial up to 15 kts apparent with no probs.Carried it for 6 hrs this seasons holiday trip
you can buy a carbon pole 4 under £500 to lighten the load.
the Spinnaker is designed for wind abaft the beam to running.
the cruising schute is mainly a reacher & useless down-wind unless u use a pole.
please dont cut a spinnaker it will be a total waste
ps we use a sock that came with boat from previous owner, as long as the "strings" r sorted that run through the sock its easy, hoisted out of the forehatch after all sheets,guys ect r "set-up"

<hr width=100% size=1>Nil iligitmo carborundum