Cruising Association, any good?

MickeyP

Visit site
I joined recently and took part in their Channel Cruise in July. It was nice to cruise in company and met some very nice people. The club house has a great library which is available to members and there are 5 nice, reasonably priced en-suite cabins (rooms) very close to the DLR if you are staying in London. They appear to have lots of talks etc over the winter, some of which I hope to attend. If you are looking to cruise further afield I am sure that there will be members who can help. PM me if you want a code. Mike

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Having read the post below about CA discount codes I thought I'd have a look.
Is it worth £128? I sail for a couple of weeks at a time around the South of France. Is the information any better/different to elsewhere on the net?

Cheers

I'm not a member but as I understand it the more to the CA then just cruiser info .

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I have been a member for years. There is a huge amount of information available on all aspects of cruising. The organisation is active in many areas representing the interests of yachtsmen. In addition to the benefits already mentioned.

As with every club and association you tend to get more out when you put more in.

Pasarell

Visit site
I've been a member for 2 years now. I live outside the UK most of the time so not been to any talks or gatherings. Lots of good info and knowledgeable members all around the place so that may make it worthwhile alone. I stayed at the club house over a winter weekend and the savings compared to a hotel more than paid my membership fee. I also get a discount on berthing at the marina I'm based in Greece. This pays the membership fee several times over.
If you're based overseas you pay a lower membership fee as well.
Definitely good value!

www.jamesmarinero.com
I've been a member for 2 years now. I live outside the UK most of the time so not been to any talks or gatherings. Lots of good info and knowledgeable members all around the place so that may make it worthwhile alone. I stayed at the club house over a winter weekend and the savings compared to a hotel more than paid my membership fee. I also get a discount on berthing at the marina I'm based in Greece. This pays the membership fee several times over.
If you're based overseas you pay a lower membership fee as well.
Definitely good value!

+1

Tony Cross

Visit site
It's very much worth it IMO. One of the most valuable resources is an App called CAptain's Mate. This puts all of the member-submitted cruising information in the palm of your hand. This means that when visiting somewhere unfamiliar to you CAptain's Mate will show you all the information submitted by CA members who have actually been there.

There is a big social aspect to CA membership too, if you fly the CA burgee you can expect other CA members in the anchorage to come over and say hello, that almost always leads to drinks on board and often meetings with other members.

The online forum is very valuable, not just for cruising information but for technical help too.

Try it for a year and see how you like it. :)