Cruiser / Trawler advise for a newbee

mikeymikefishing

Visit site
Hello everyone.

I'm new to this site but would like some advise.Thought this would be the best way to find out about owning a liveaboard boat than the well experienced crew than you .Thank you in advance for the time you spent.
Ok story :)
I have about 5-6 years before we retire and are seriously looking at buying a liveaboard boat to escape the winter months up here in Toronto.
Boat type would be a 1980 to 2000 44-50ft twin diesels ,cruiser or trawler. I really like the Viking due to the fact I love to fish and it might help out in the expenses if we could collect a little money either fishing charters or fish market.
Looking at mooring in Florida as our main base and venturing out from there. I have looked at some marina's that allow liveaboard and the price varies between 500.00 us to 1000.00 us. per month.It includes mooring elect. water wifi and a few other amenities.What else should I look for when looking for a good Marina plus what other cost i could expect when there.
This might cause a few arguments but do you prefer diesel or gas single engine or twins?
If I'm cruising from Florida to the outer islands /Bahamas how much would it cost re fuel /mooring and inspection passes/visa required.
We don't plan to do it a lot maybe 1 to 2 times and spending a month there .
And mostly what would be the cost to operate that size of boat for 6 months I plan to dry store it in the summer time so we can have maintenance done to it while out of the water.
Like I said I'm new to this but would like it to happen if this is financially accessible.
any information would be great.
Thank you.:cool: