Cross channel crew needed

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I’m looking for someone to help crew our Westerly Sealord from Portsmouth to Cherbourg next Saturday/Sunday/Monday. The wind looks like it might be a bit brisk for Saturday so maybe more likely Sunday? You’d have to get the ferry back as a foot passenger Tuesday or Wednesday when Mrs M arrived but if you’ve got a couple of days then we could call in a couple of places?

The boat is well found and I’m an RYA YM Instructor and Examiner if you’re interested. I’d single hand it but Mrs M says she’d prefer it if I had some crew...

Pm me if you’re interested and can spare a couple of days?

Robin

Visit site
I’m looking for someone to help crew our Westerly Sealord from Portsmouth to Cherbourg next Saturday/Sunday/Monday. The wind looks like it might be a bit brisk for Saturday so maybe more likely Sunday? You’d have to get the ferry back as a foot passenger Tuesday or Wednesday when Mrs M arrived but if you’ve got a couple of days then we could call in a couple of places?

The boat is well found and I’m an RYA YM Instructor and Examiner if you’re interested. I’d single hand it but Mrs M says she’d prefer it if I had some crew...

What a temptation, but need too much personal assistance these days to be a worthy crew, more hindrance than help on a saily thingy.I can testify however that the lucky candidate will have a truly great time and in excellent company even before the delightful Mrs M arrives. Plus (very long story that I will be free to tell in full hopefully soon) means that both I and T are temporarily sans passports, thanks/no thanks to UKHO)

XDC

Visit site
From where in Portsmouth John?

I know someone suitable but just need an idea of the logistics before I talk to him.

XDC

Visit site
Thanks John

I’ll leave it to LittleSister as, even though you can probably see the ferry from your mooring, I can’t see how my guy can get from the ferry port to Hardway.

Enjoy the trip.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Thanks John

I’ll leave it to LittleSister as, even though you can probably see the ferry from your mooring, I can’t see how my guy can get from the ferry port to Hardway.

Enjoy the trip.
Easy to get from the ferry port to us; I’ll drive round and fetch him by car. If you think he’d enjoy the trip, three’s better than two and the boat has bunks for ten (although you’d be mad to have ten on her in reality).

XDC

Visit site
Sorry John. Didn’t realise he’s crewing for someone at Cowes. Bon voyage as they say over there. And here ?

scotty123

Visit site

Bit "brisk"?
Are you really going to plan the passage considering the weather forecast?

Poignard

Visit site
Well he's a very experienced man and an instructor (I believe) and should know what he's doing.

I was tempted to volunteer but all my gear is on my boat in Brittany and it looks the sort of weather where some warm, waterproof clothing will be required.

scotty123

Visit site
Well he's a very experienced man and an instructor (I believe) and should know what he's doing.

I was tempted to volunteer but all my gear is on my boat in Brittany and it looks the sort of weather where some warm, waterproof clothing will be required.

Experience should tell him to reconsider, regardless of how many RYA certificates, have a look at forecast winds.

scotty123

Visit site
I would trust JM's judgement and experience (from personal knowledge) over yours any day,but to say that on here would put me in the same ill-informed camp as yourself:p

Really, you know nothing about me, but anyone considering a crosschannel in the forecast weather, is not exercising good judgement. If the situation stays as forecast, I'm sure JM would delay for another day. How many on here would leave harbour in 40-50 knts?

Robin

Visit site
Really, you know nothing about me, but anyone considering a crosschannel in the forecast weather, is not exercising good judgement. If the situation stays as forecast, I'm sure JM would delay for another day. How many on here would leave harbour in 40-50 knts?

Why not actually READ the original post before making inane comment.

I’m looking for someone to help crew our Westerly Sealord from Portsmouth to Cherbourg next Saturday/Sunday/Monday. The wind looks like it might be a bit brisk for Saturday so maybe more likely Sunday?
Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?525025-Cross-channel-crew-needed#g8133sRX5fiP14v6.99

Last edited:

scotty123

Visit site

Robin

Visit site
"Next Saturday/Sunday/Monday".
Took you a while to "READ" the original post as well.

I can assure you it did NOT, I would dearly love to volunteer but cannot as said in my original reply.(post 2):sorrow::sorrow: JM has my total confidence and a very capable and exceptionally well maintained boat to boot, now if it were some manky auld tiddler...….

scotty123

Visit site
I can assure you it did NOT, I would dearly love to volunteer but cannot as said in my original reply.(post 2):sorrow::sorrow: JM has my total confidence and a very capable and exceptionally well maintained boat to boot, now if it were some manky auld tiddler...….

So why #14?

Poecheng

Visit site
I think JM wanted to known if anyone wanted to crew, not whether people didn't want to crew or whether it was thought to be a good idea.
JM, what anchor(s) will you be carrying? :cool: