Croatia to join Schengen 01/01/2023

avastbehind

Visit site
I’m shortly delivering a new boat from Slovenia to Montenegro, where the boat will be registered. I’ve been told that once I leave Slovenia, I’ll have to keep out of Croatian waters to avoid creating ‘a VAT event’. This adds nearly 100nm to the trip and seems an unnecessary ball ache, given that Croatia has just joined Schengen.
Can anyone tell me if this situation has changed, or am I still required to clear in at the first available port of entry if I navigate through Croatian waters?

RupertW

Visit site
I’m shortly delivering a new boat from Slovenia to Montenegro, where the boat will be registered. I’ve been told that once I leave Slovenia, I’ll have to keep out of Croatian waters to avoid creating ‘a VAT event’. This adds nearly 100nm to the trip and seems an unnecessary ball ache, given that Croatia has just joined Schengen.
Can anyone tell me if this situation has changed, or am I still required to clear in at the first available port of entry if I navigate through Croatian waters?
Croatia has been part of the Customs Union and therefore VAT since 2013 so nothing has changed there.

jonrarit

Visit site
I believe (and stand to be corrected) but under the "rights of innocent passage" as laid out by the United nations Convention on the law of the sea, you can pass through (but not stop) through Croatian waters without having to check in.

See page 23 of this pdf - https://www.un.org/depts/los/convention_agreements/texts/unclos/unclos_e.pdf

Mind you trying to explain it Croatian coastguard might be a different challenge altogether.... :)

jr

AndersG

Visit site
I believe (and stand to be corrected) but under the "rights of innocent passage" as laid out by the United nations Convention on the law of the sea, you can pass through (but not stop) through Croatian waters without having to check in.

See page 23 of this pdf - https://www.un.org/depts/los/convention_agreements/texts/unclos/unclos_e.pdf

Mind you trying to explain it Croatian coastguard might be a different challenge altogether.... :)

jr
Conventions must be implemented by law in the country in question. They have no legal value on their own.

Other threads that may be of interest