Croatia pilot guide

Captain Seapig

Visit site
Admiral Seapig and I are off for a weeks’ flotilla in a month or so. I want to do a bit of reading before I go. I am assuming that the Imray pilot guide is the one to get but thought I would check the forum’s views first.

I am going to Krka on the sunsail flotilla to be a bit more precise, so any other tips greatly received.

Spyro

Visit site
With a flotilla you shouldn't have much planning to worry about. July is very busy in Croatia and arriving early to get berths in marinas if that is what you want is a must but this missing most of the best sailing. Hopefully with a flotilla it will all be planned and booked. One thing i would suggest depending on where you are flying to is a day or 2 in Dubrovnik or Split before the flotilla starts. Both cities def worth a visit. Don't mention to the admiral anything about googling "bora croatia" but if you do be assured July is the best month to miss it

tawhiri

Visit site
The 888 which is originally in German is excelant. There should be an English publication and in my opinion better than the Imray.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
The 888 which is originally in German is excelant. There should be an English publication and in my opinion better than the Imray.
I myself have the German-language 888 version by the original Austrian author, Karl-Heinz Beständig, who sells it directly for €29.90 (£26) - see here.

He couldn't keep up with the English translation version (original German now up to edition 31) so allowed some publishers to franchise his creation and translate into English, Italian and Croatian ... it is they who now charge a price so much more than K-H. Beständig publishes at - English version £45, for example.

They also made a marketing decision to keep the 777 title but incorporate all the same changes and updates, translated, that comprise the current German 888 version.

kh-pil1501.jpg

crisjones

Visit site
The 777 and Imray Pilots are rather different so it depends on what you are looking for as to which one is best suited.
The 777 covers many more of the smaller anchorages although it does give info for all the main marinas and harbours as well. It does not give much supporting / background info for any of the places it shows. It may mention an odd restaurant for some of the anchorages but little more.
The Imray gives much more general info about the towns and harbours, such as shoreside facilities, shops etc. It also tells you something about the history of the various places if it is important and may also mention nearby places of interest.

If you anchor out all the time and rarely visit towns and harbours then the 777 is probably best. If you mainly port/marina hop then the Imray is better suited.

They both have their place depending on your requirements.