Crewing Opportunity

Joker

Visit site
Nothing personal in this, but I am baffled ...

You're a commercial organisation being paid to deliver boats. You want an extra crew member who not only pays his own transport but contributes towards food? Phrases like having your cake and eating it come to mind.

Halcyon Yachts

www.halcyonyachts.com
Nothing personal in this, but I am baffled ...

You're a commercial organisation being paid to deliver boats. You want an extra crew member who not only pays his own transport but contributes towards food? Phrases like having your cake and eating it come to mind.

Hi Joker,

When arranging deliveries I usually budget for a crew of three. The standard arrangement is that the Skipper is paid with all expenses included. The crew get travel and on board food.

Occasionally I will offer a fourth position to a less experienced crew member and in return ask them to pay their own travel and contribute 5 pounds per day towards food. The fourth crew is not essential to the delivery and I can assure you that at 5 pounds per day we do not make money from offering such positions.

As a director of a yacht delivery company I still fantasise about just seeing a cake...

All the best to you,

Pete

scej

Back in Poole, delivering boats for a living and a
Visit site
Hi Joker,

When arranging deliveries I usually budget for a crew of three. The standard arrangement is that the Skipper is paid with all expenses included. The crew get travel and on board food.

Occasionally I will offer a fourth position to a less experienced crew member and in return ask them to pay their own travel and contribute 5 pounds per day towards food. The fourth crew is not essential to the delivery and I can assure you that at 5 pounds per day we do not make money from offering such positions.

As a director of a yacht delivery company I still fantasise about just seeing a cake...

All the best to you,

Pete

I also deliver boats for a living, most of our deliveries are fairly short around the 300/500mile range. I occasionally use crew who want to come for experience and mile building who dont always want payment for their services, but i will in every instance pay subsistance and travel expenses even if it means getting a crew back home if for some reason we are delayed and thay need to get home. I think if you occasionally offer a fourth position on a delivery it is usually because you would prefer an extra person on board for whatever reason so you should at least be paying expenses, in any event in my opinion the crew should be paid something on a commercial delivery as they are working and not on a 'jolly'!!

I have in the past used a number of 'heros' from a certain establishment on the south coast who are cluless, one of whom has actually said that she was taught to pass the exams and will admit that she needs more experience before she could deliver a boat on her own!!!!! most of the 'heros' in my experience can ty fenders or the boat properly and if the auto pilot fails then we are in trouble!!!

I will say that all the deliveries i undertake are on motor boats where it is perceived that owners will pay more for a delivery, this is not the case we work on a all inclusive day rate mostly and in some cases a fixed fee plus travel expenses for all the crew.

I would also like to see a cake sometime and if i could actually have some it would be a bonus!!