Credit cards with Chips

G

Last year when crusing around France, I came across more than one fuel pump that would take credit cards when the pumps were not manned - out of hours.

However, it seemed that only French credit (debit?) cards worked. I believe this was because the cards had chips (?) in them.

Anyome have any knowledge about this, and what can be done to obtain a card that works?

Piers

G

Yes.

They do have a chip (micropuce). They are usually only debit cards.

The only way I know of getting one is to have a French bank account. Why dont you ask your bank - major UK banks usually have ties to a particular French bank.

G

You should search for a card with the label "maestro" on it. Normally that should do the trick.

G

I don't know if they're the same type of chip, both my Barclaycard Visa and Barclaycard Mastercards have Smart Chips.

G

Cracked Egg

My new Egg card has one. Unfortunatly, they have the worst customer service I have EVER experienced in my entire life (shame, because I liked the convenience of servicing it via the net) and haven't resolved problems despite 27 phone calls - leaving me over £4000 incorrectly debited!!!! Therefore I cut it up and sent it back only tonight, so I guess its had its chips (ow, sorry).

G

Re: Cracked Egg

I, too, had problems with Egg and have now paid it off and am returning it. I've got one of the Morgan Stanley Dean Witter cards now and that's great.

- Andrew

G

Re: Yes.

Thanks for the info, Marian.

I will ask some more questions and post the repsonse.

Piers

G

From your comments, eggs are certainly off the menu - Piers

G

Thanks Andrew - I will see what they offer - Piers

G

Hmm, Fascinating. I have a Barclaycard Platinum and a Cahoot card both with the micro chip. I travel extensively throughout Europe and only once or twice run into problems. Older readers can't cope with the micro chip so I had to resort to my debit card instead.

Doug A

(Falken II, you may remember London on Water)

G

Great to hear from you, Doug. I'll try e-maling you direct.

Piers