Crap Summer so far..................................

rotrax

Visit site
We were late getting away on the boat this year, getting the Injector pump off, away for recon and refitting meant June was almost past before the sea trial.

All was OK bar a fuel gauge issue.

Which nearly cost us the boat, but that is a story for another day.

We left Littlehampton and had an overnight in the Hamble before taking on 560 Litres of diesel up at at Itchen Marine. £1.20 a litre for more than 500 litres at 60/40. Weather was blowing up so we overnighted at the Folly. Moved to Newport the following day and spent 4 nights tucked up in the shelter. Forecast said dropping to F4 or 5 so we started the passage on a still rising tide to get max benifit of the ebb going West. 2-2.5 metre breaking waves pretty much on the nose in the Western Solent. We had had enough so dived into Studland and dropped the hook. Took the ebb to Dartmouth next morning, arriving and finding it busy with those hiding from the weather. Topped up the supplies and then left for Newton Ferrers where we spent 4 nights. Wind on the nose so the mended engine had a good workout and behaved well. 5 nights in the Yealm before moving East to Salcombe. Weather crap, rain, mist and cold with it. Salcombe was wet, windy and so misty that the town was barely visible from near the fuel berth.

Back to Dartmouth for the visit of some old friends who spent the weekend with us. Some slightly improved weather saw us doing the tourist bit at Agatha Christies house on the Sunday. Our friends left, leaving us to tough out more heavy winds alongside the deepwater pontoon on the Kingswear side. We got a fair forecast a week later and took off for Teignmouth. Weather while there was pretty good, the best so far. Four nights in Teignmouth before we moved to the Exe. It was pretty bumpy along the beach following the buoyed channel but quite quiet once inside.

We had met a chap at Newton Ferrers who worked at Trouts Boatyard at Topsham. He said we could lie alongside their pontoon at neaps, so we spent 3 nights there, meeting up with friends and my neice who lives nearby. Topsham was a nice town and we enjoyed our stay there. Easterlies were on the future forecast so we took the decision to leave Monday afternoon and get home before they arrived.. We had an initially bumpy ride over the first part of Lyme Bay, easing as the wind dropped. We sailed overnight to Gosport, staying on our clubs amenity pontoon. Doing this allowed us to time our arrival back to Littlehampton. We like to arrive at the end of the flood. This makes it easier to come alongside our berth Port side to. The last three days were the best weather of the whole trip.

The boat - touching wood as I write this - behaved very well. The microwave died but a replacement was sourced in Teignmouth. My home filled Calor propane cylinder lasted four weeks. One internal LED bulb failed and the toilet seat suffered a broken hinge, quickly welded by a trawler crew doing maintenance. Due to using moorings without services there was no chance to do more than wash the rails and windows until back in our home berth. Once there a morning had her looking good again.

The engine took a one litre top up of oil, started readily and idled slowly. The pump refurbish fixed the iffy hot starting and high idle speed.

Apart from the poor weather, we had a good trip.

Concerto

Visit site
Rotrax, I know from meeting you last year, you are more weather averse than me. However at least you have been sailing as I still have not yet raised the sails. With 2 deaths of close relatives after health problems and associated estate tidying, then doing a major strengthening of Concerto's keel rib, 2 holidays to please my wife, have taken a large chunk of my time. Next I have to get Concerto lifted for a clean and antifoul, plus a new stern gland. Then sail to the Solent so I can be at the Southampton Boat Show every day, before returning.

Even having the opportunity to use your boat as an accomodation unit in different ports still makes any trip worthwhile. So stop grumbling about the poor weather and look at the positive things you did. No cruise should have a rigid route as weather can easily change your plans.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Well we left heading west to the eastern edge of Cornwall on 26 July and got back to Chichester yesterday. In the middle we had a week ashore with family in Cornwall. Both ashore and on the boat the summer weather was decidedly average, often grey and cloudy. Out of the 19 days to and from the Tamar we had six days static due to the weather, and of the 13 days we were moving I would describe 5 days as slogging, motorsailing or motoring to make progress, 1 day beating upwind, 1 day of glorious millpond motoring past Lulworth cove etc to Chapman's pool, 1 day of glorious spinnaker sailing accross Lyme Bay, which leaves 5 days of good sailing and a bit of motor. On the static days we had a great day walking from Noss Mayo on the Yealm (great sunshine and a lot of wind), a very nice sunny day in Churchstone Cove next to Brixham, and a nice afternoon up past Ditsum to Stoke Gabriel. Being stuck in Weymouth and Brixham days, and hiding up the Beaulieu river were not so great, not that bad. Reckon we had the motor on for 48 hours out of the 87 hour total, giving an average speed of 4.6 knots for 400nm. 4 dolphin days :). First time we have used our Konsort for that length of time and loved it. Absolutely fascinating trying to balance the desire to make progress to our specific Cornish deadline (something I had no choice over) and later the desire to get home and check the tomatoes :). Pushing on to be in the right place for anticipated bad weather, or while the tides were still good were fasinating descisions to take. I'd agree the rest of the summer (so far) has been poor for sailing, but for me it has been memorable. And I don't evaluate it in statistics, it has just been fun working it all out. However final statistic. Of the 8 boats at anchor in South Deep, Poole on Thursday 4 were not in the same place in the morning during quite a lively easterly. I like anchor pro :)

Last edited:

jac

Visit site
New to us boat - bought end of last season - out of the water over winter for coppercoat to be redone and rerigging. Bad weather meant launch was delayed till mid May but riggers couldn't get mast stepped until early June.
Bending on sails revealed a jammed halyard - riggers back out - sails bent on for mid June. Test sail revealed some minor issues resolved over the following couple of weeks. Then came July - awful weather and some domestic priorities so not used.
2 weeks aboard planned for 5th - 19th August with vague plans of Falmouth, Fowey , Helford and back. Storm Antoni, over cooked starter battery, knackered alternator, broken VSR, forecast thunderstorms etc, no wind or strong headwinds curtailed out trip followed by MiL ending up in Hospital and wife shooting off to provide care.
Couple of busy weekends over the next month so i'm hoping end September / early October might be nice
Remind me why we bought??

seumask

Visit site
Not a bad summer in my book, last 2 weeks in July saw us across the Channel, St Vaast, Alderney, Herm, St Caast, St Malo, St Quay, Lesadrieux and home to Chichester Harbour. We had the holiday cut a little short by F7 in the channel on the first and last weekends of our 2 weeks but had good sailing and shore side walking eating etc.
I am generally convinced that the weather in Northern Britany was lighter ( offshore ) winds and sunnier than the English side of the Channel, only 1 really miserable day walking in the rain, and quite a few new stops for us. The generally stronger winds have resulted in much use of the wetsuit dingy sailing and wing foiling when not yachting.

jlavery

Visit site
We've had a cracking summer up in Scotland - good weather May and June, went into quite a few places which can only be visited in settled conditions.

Weather has broken now, but still not too bad. Last week spent in Mallaig sorting out engine, missed some good walking days but also sat out some crap (57kt gust the other night in the harbour).

Heading south soon, to lay up at Fairlie Quay on 13th.

Then back to mountain biking, @seumask !

matt1

Visit site
Just a very changeable summer in the south of the UK with very few (if any) settled periods. Have managed 4 channel crossings, not so much in the Solent this year and strangely (& for no particular reason) nothing West for me this year.

Normally by now I can reflect and reminisce on “that cracking sail from….” But honestly can’t think of any really decent passages. Like others report, a lot has been on the nose, or snatched opportunities between gales etc

However, whilst mileage is down, nights on board are up and have spent more than 3 weeks in France in total which has been cheap and with great food.

Of course last summer’s weather was exceptional. Looking fwd to 2024’s almanac coming out :)

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
June (and early July) was OK.
Though sailing plans were drastically curtailed due to family emergency.
August a virtual write-off as I came down with the Lurgi (Covid - apparently there's a new strain going round).
Even though I was only 'ill' for 4-5 days, it really knocked the stuffing out of me.
Mended now.
Hoping for a decent September.

Seven Spades

Visit site
Well I can't agree. We have had awful weather and we have been away fo the last five weeks. During that time we have had some great sails but in between the weather has been awful. Neither of us have swum from the boat and when we were in Brittany we didn't anchor once as it was wet, foggy and windy.

doug748

Visit site
Well I can't agree. We have had awful weather and we have been away fo the last five weeks. During that time we have had some great sails but in between the weather has been awful. Neither of us have swum from the boat and when we were in Brittany we didn't anchor once as it was wet, foggy and windy.

I have noticed the same.
Late May and early June was ok ish but lots of fixed, strong E winds, which can write off a trip if it is not going your way. Many more strong gales midsummer than I recall for 20 years plus a 3 week period of strong fixed dead West strong winds, that put a stop to any progress in that direction in the Western Channel.

As you suggest anchoring in 30 kts of wind and cold rain is no great pleasure. Still, not over yet and I have known worse.