Crap pubs in the Solent

doris

Visit site
Castle Inn, Gosport

Brilliant menu that just flatters to deceive and you finish up leaving most of the food. Better to spnd the money on beer and be done with. The Great Wall, the chinese opposite is v. good though.

Col

Visit site
Have you tried the Doghouse in Moody's yard? Went for first time the other night, not too bad.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/colspics> Cols Picture Album</A>

Johnjo

Visit site
Bl--dy Hell.
After reading all of this .
If i ever visit the Solent, I'll make sure i got plenty to eat and drink on board. Us Cornish ,Don,t like being ripped off yo.
regards Mike

G

Re: Guinness Shandy

What a waste of guinness !!!

Must admit the old Coffee / Cream floater trick went down a treat with my lass !!

Toutvabien

Visit site
Makes me remeber why I avoid the Solent, bypassing it whenever possible on the other side of the Channel. I am staying amongst the mud and good pubs of Essex and Suffolk, Ramsholt Arms, Green Man Bradwell, The Ship at Burnham on Crouch, Jolly Sailor at Orford, Queens at Maldon, although the Butt and Oyster at Pinmill seems to have gone down the pan in recent years having gone from decent grub to the microwave "cuisine industrial".

zefender

Visit site
Re: Solent Crap

I think the West country has its increasing quota of crap pubs too. Trouble is, thanks to catering wholesalers providing pre-cooked food of dubious quality by the truckload, every pub across the land suddenly thinks its a restaurant, able to provide thai fish cakes to gullible (and hungry) punters. As they say, the length of the menu has an inverse relationship with the quality of the food!

jimboaw

Visit site
Another vote for Master Builder

Got in 1 minute after time . Couldn't get squat not even a pack of crisps. Rude staff. I hope they read our opinions

bedouin

Visit site
Re: Has the Master Builder changed?

A couple of years ago the Master Builder was one of our favourite locations in the Solent - idyllic location, good food an roaring fires for those early/late season dinners.

Last couple of times We've been the experience has not been as good... but I put that down to luck.

I was thinking of trying them again this Saturday, but after reading this thread I'm not sure I'll bother. However with the deterioration of the Folly as well it makes locations for that quite Autumn weekend sailing in the Solent decidedly problematic,

DaiBach

Visit site
I have been there many times over the past 20 years and find it at its worst more recently.
Last visit the crew voted to stay aboard and open some tins for dinner.
Yes it is that bad and if I owned it the heads would roll!!