Craning out, anodes and slings

VicS

Visit site
If you have pear shaped anodes take note. The projecting stud on this one did terminal damage to one of the lifting slings today. The crane owner/driver is not happy bunny.

No more details I only heard about it at the end of the day but I had my camera with me hence the pic.

DSCF0342.jpg

futurama

Visit site
If he wasn't happy he should have slung it himself,or given instructions how he wanted it slung or not.

graham

Visit site
Presuming it was being lifted out of the water how could the crane driver be expected to know there was a protruding bolt in the way?I think the owner is lucky not to get a bill for the damaged strop.

VicS

Visit site
Yes it was being lifted from the water and the slingers would not have been able to see it.

I think some financial arrangement was made.

wooslehunter

Visit site
We all craned out at Emsworth this weekend. We do around 40 boats over the weekend including mast lifts. For boats we've done before, we have a photo album showing sling positions. It works a treat. Owners need also to say where any anodes are. I wouldn't want the tension of a sling pressing on anode studs.

Billjratt

Visit site
Originally, the anode should have been put in a sensible place.... Surely?
From the photo, I would consider making another hole and spinning it out of the way, as the sling will naturally want to go in front of the skeg.

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
sling will naturally want to go in front of the skeg.

[/ QUOTE ] I did not look closely at this boat but IIRC it has stub keel (it's a lifting keel boat) and the sling can be positioned further forward behind the stub keel. The anode was no doubt fitted as close as possible to the stern gear to maximise the protection.

Wooselhunter's suggestion is a good one but don't I know who will be given the job of of yard photographer if I suggest it. The trouble is of course that there are always one or two new ones each year although I am sure this particular one has been lifted without problem there before. An identical one certainly has (but I don't think that has any anodes)

However the point was to draw peoples attention to the problems that things like protruding fastenings can have.

mikehibb

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My old girl has a couple of stickers, circa 1980, showing where to sling thus avoiding damage to me or the sling.

[/ QUOTE ]

My not quite so old girl, circa 2001, also has a couple of stickers showing the sling points. I just assumed that they were put there by the manufacturer.

Actually I would assume that all manufacturers should put sling marks on a boat.

Sanderling_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Actually I would assume that all manufacturers should put sling marks on a boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful, our last boat (a '99 Bav) had a "do not sling here" sticker over the saildrive. Unfortunately the writing had faded off and one yard mistook it for a "sling here" sticker. Thankfully they realised their mistake before she was fully out of the water with no lasting damage done.