Crack in acrylic screen?

C08

Visit site
My wheelhouse window ar the front has started a small crack about 1.5" long and I am wondering if there is a way of stopping it spreading further across the screen. It is at the top out of the line of sight so not a problem as it is but I would like not to have to replace the screen as it is about 4ft 6"x30" and with a lot of small screws.

C08

Visit site
At some point you may want to replace it.

I used the original window as a template for making a new from polycarbonate. Easy and about 100 times better.
My allegedly UV stable (expensive) polycarbonate screen went cloudy after 3 seasons and I replaced with acrylic which is cristal clear. I wondered if a melted spot, perhaps soldering iron may stop the crack? I have too much on to replace the screen.

Metalicmike

Visit site
I agree with wonkeywinch that is the standard method for stopping cracks. You could then v out the crack (not right through) and fill it with crystal clear silicone.

mrangry

Visit site
My allegedly UV stable (expensive) polycarbonate screen went cloudy after 3 seasons and I replaced with acrylic which is cristal clear. I wondered if a melted spot, perhaps soldering iron may stop the crack? I have too much on to replace the screen.
Polycarbonate whilst more impact resistant scratches easier and more prone to uv damage than acrylic. Oh and more expensive

harvey38

Visit site
If you want to stop it then others have said, drill at each end, if you want to repair it then a product I have used with cracks on aircraft canopies is Plastifix.