We are in the "J boat class" with 13 boats and 2 non sprit boats,

so praying for lots of downwind against the tide stuff

flaming

Visit site
We will be there in Frank3

Weird class splits this year,
We are in the "J boat class" with 13 boats and 2 non sprit boats,

so praying for lots of downwind against the tide stuff

Yeah, you, a Sigma 38 and a lot of Js... And sharing a startline with us. That will be a busy one with 35 boats on the line.

Reading between the lines of Lawrence's postings on class splits I think he came under a lot of pressure to basically have a P40 class, and that just made a mess of the splits lower down. Really needed 9 IRC classes, or to split that class in 2 and divide it between the classes above and below. Especially as the class below looks healthy, but in reality is small as half of the entrants are corporates doing 1 or 2 days.
Though to be fair his 5a/5b solution is a lot better than it could have been.

Currently not expecting to start the week until Sunday... 30 gusting 40 is just too much I think.

olly_love

Visit site
We had a split class 7 a few years back which worked well but they did an overall class 7 result and split result which was good,

I do worry that we will have loads of J boat courses and the RO sets lots of broard power reaches, We do have an A5 but cant keep up with a planing J92 even if they are only 600kg lighter than us

to be fair, looking at class 5 there are alot of boats further up the class we are a very similar speed to uphill but will loose on the reach and gain on the run, we are very light for our size ( and volume) so will see how it plays out

flaming

Visit site
I don't think they will change the courses too much. It's the same course for the whole of 5, so they'd get some stick from the boats at the top of the split... Plus in breeze they tend to keep it simple anyway....

This will only be the second time we've had the new boat out in any significant breeze... So very much looking forward to it! Only previous windy day we hit 14 knots before it all went wrong...

olly_love

Visit site
likewise, not sailed it much in the breeze, but apparently the SJ is quick in 20 plus, seen 13 out of it already,

had to rerate for cowes to carry 4 kites this year as thought we would need the S4 onboard

Muddy32

Visit site
The problem is not the courses chosen but the fact that no, repeat no handicap system is perfect and differences in designs are made to reflect current measuring rules.
One choses the boat you sail in and have to have the thought process to ask yourself, do I do well because the boat has a favourable handicap or because we sailed well.
F 1 cars would not do well on a go cart track.
It is only a recreational game after all.

lw395

Visit site
The problem is not the courses chosen but the fact that no, repeat no handicap system is perfect and differences in designs are made to reflect current measuring rules.
One choses the boat you sail in and have to have the thought process to ask yourself, do I do well because the boat has a favourable handicap or because we sailed well.
F 1 cars would not do well on a go cart track.
It is only a recreational game after all.

Same as with dinghy handicap, a course will suit different styles of boat.
A smaller lightweight boat with a big asy will tend to do well on w/l courses, compared to a heavier, longer conventional boat of the same rating which will do better in long uphill slogs against the tide and tight reaches.

Handicap works fine for comparable boats of similar size.
Otherwise, you'll find better racing in the one-designs.