Covering a yacht for winter with a tarp

neil_s

Visit site
I use rope - but each one ends with a 2 litre milk carton half-filled with water. These seem to be just enough weight to hold the tarp down, not rip it and allow flexibility in strong wind gusts. You only need a small vent hole at each end

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I use tarpaulins from tarpaulinsdirect the mid range, not the cheapest, usually last 5/6 years. I also fit extra eyelets between the ones fitted, tarp cut to suit and tied to the toe rail. Rope not bungee cord. Over the boom and open at each end.

johnalison

Visit site
I’ve not used tarpaulin as a boat cover but I used to use them as cockpit tents. I found that using bungee dramatically reduced the amount of flogging in the wind but I have not seen discussion about this with regard to boat covers.

The Q

Visit site
I don't use tarpaulin, but use damp proof membrane sheet, it survives several seasons and doesn't break up like most tarpaulins.
I use ratchet straps to tie down, but they are only 1inch wide straps , This of course is because the boat is on its trailer in the garden, there are rubbery foam pads under the sheet and straps at the gunnels .

It's survived many gales as we are in an exposed site on the coast...

antares

Visit site
I´ve found over the years that the most vulnerable part of the tarp is where it passes over the top of the stanchions and eventually chafes through so slip a bit of that heating pipe foam tube (ready split) maybe taped on over each stanchion and you´ll save a lot of holes.

Visit site
I use a heavy canvas winter cover which I tie off with matt 6 mm polyester rope down to a 12 mm rope wrapped around the keel. I also tape the tails of all the clove hitches so they can't work loose. I like traditional heavy canvas because it doesn't tend to flap about especially when it gets wet. My ridge pole is made from aluminium scaffold tube and Kee Clamp connectors. That way I can keep the lengths short to travel in my box trailer. If you are worried about inserting eyelets, then there is a Swedish product called Holdons. The larger size grips the hem of the canvas (or any material) tenaciously and they have the advantage that they can be used in any location. As everyone has said, keep an opening at each end for ventilation.

I do use bungee "Spanfixes" on my boom cover. They clip very quickly onto the guardrail wires and allow strong gusts to blow through. I have written about my winter cover on my blog: https://sumaraofweymouth.co.uk/?s=cover in case you are interested.