Coveline, Coachline, Stripe ??

Sulograss

Visit site
Hi guys

I have a Fairline Mirage and between the hull and the superstructure is what I would describe as a 6 or 7 inch wide coachline in a deep red colour. The decal for the name of the boat also on the hull is exactly the same colour which leads me to think that both are made out of vinyl and stuck on? The coachline finish is far too smooth to have been painted but time has taken its toll and it's become patchy in places now.

I dont want to "paint" it so does anyone know of a company that does this vinyl work and if they fit it too?

Hope the picture attachment works

Sulo

minkysailing

Visit site
Where are you? Down in the Solent area there are several very good companies who make marine grade vinyl decals and fit them. Couple come to mind, Steam Graphics and the owner Anna. Also the Wild Group. Both companies will make and fit the decals or send them to you for own fitting.

malcolm2

Visit site
As the supplier of vinyl graphics to Fairline (www.boat-names.co.uk) assuming the red is in fact original, and I query whether it is, because I cannot remember any leaving the factory with this colour. But if it is original, it would definitely be gelcoat not vinyl.
If you want further guidance send us a p. message.

Sulograss

Visit site
Thanks

Thank you for the replies.

The boat is river based in Cambridgeshire and from the original invoice from 1979 the boat was originally finished with a "Nappy S**t" Brown stripe. As for who changed it to red, I know not but definitely appears to be vinyl. The finish was far too good to be hand painted and I can't imagine it was sprayed. You can feel a slight lip at the edge of the stripe and given that the colour exactly matches the name decal I can only assume it is vinyl.

Hand painted looks so unprofessional. Any further ideas for someone who might be able to help locally would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Sulo

xtiffer

Visit site
You clearly do not know very much about painting.
I could show you many examples of hand painting that you would swear were sprayed or vinyl.
The right artisan with the right tools and materials
will always do it right.
Cheers,
Chris

malcolm2

Visit site
As I suspected the original colour was the normal "brown" gelcoat. There are a number of possible options, but so as not to appear to be touting for business I have sent you a private message which hopefully will be of assistance.

Sulograss

Visit site
Correct

You clearly do not know very much about painting.
I could show you many examples of hand painting that you would swear were sprayed or vinyl.
The right artisan with the right tools and materials
will always do it right.
Cheers,
Chris

Thanks Chris

You're right, I don't know much about painting boats. I only wish I did and can only really go on examples I have seen that have been done by hand .... Not very well!!