Courtesy Flag

martinwoolwich

Visit site
I am about to go to France.

What is the correct protocol for flying the courtesy flag. Motor boat Broom 38.

ie where and when. I think I still fly the red ensign on my aft staff and the french flag can be flown off my radar arch (ie higher) is this correct? When do I fly it. when do I take it down? (ie sunrise, sunset etc).

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
Protocol. Red ensign as the main flag is usually bigger than the courtesy flag and can be flown from centre of (Broom) mast. French small courtesy flag from starboard yard.

If you go to the CI first, you "should" fly the yellow Q flag from below the French or from the port yard. (I think - someone correct me on that).

If you have either a Breton or Normandy courtesy flag, this should be flown from either port or below the French on starboard.

If you have a local courtesy flag, eg Cornish St. Piran, fly it on the port, and the Breton below the French.

You can leave all courtesy flags up at all times, but the Red should (and I say should) be lowered at sunset or 9pm whichever is the earlier.

Complicated eh??

regards,
Philip

charles_reed

Visit site
Fly the courtesy flag from the starboard spreader - it means you recognise the nation whose waters you are sailing and agree to be bound by their laws.

Fly your senior club burgee from the port spreader and your ensign, red, blue or white from your stern.

Strictly speaking, you should only fly the courtesy flag whilst your national ensign is flying.
It's only the Brits and danes who go thro' the pointless ritual of doffing the ensign at dusk - flag etiquette gives endless opportunity for self-appointed authorities of the non-sailing, bar-propping kind to pontificate about.

B

bob_tyler

Take the ensign down at dusk and get up at sunrise to raise it again! Saves a lot of wear and tear, especially in the winter.

B

bob_tyler

If you're not singlehanded that's what you have a crew for!