Council tax

Candellara

Visit site
If their Marina fees are paid as housing benefit they will also not be paying council tax under the reduction rules.

Anyway, please confirm this is true. If it is, I am off to buy a skanky old wooden 60ft MFV and have it towed to Salterns.

Correct (allegedly). Housing benefit pay the Marina fees direct, boat insurance and any boat rental costs are paid directly to the individual.

As per my original post - i've clarified that no Council tax is payable.

As Lucy stated, although Marina fees can be very high - it's probably cheaper than providing housing

Last edited:

charles_reed

Visit site

alanwilson

Visit site
To Anon: this has now surfaced at Tollesbury Marina. I was very interested in your information from the Local Government Finance Act, the Council Tax Guidance Manual and the Valuation Office Agency Web site but unfortunately can't find those references online despite several hours searching.

Could you possibly give specific web page addresses for the information you detailed?

Many thanks

moomba

N/A
Visit site
I don't know specifically which services are covered by council tax and which aren't, but our rubbish is collected by marina staff from communal bins, our access routes are not publicly maintained, neither is our water from hoses on the pontoons, they are part of the berthing fee. It is not a requirement in law that someone has to be a council tax payer in order to access council run services, libraries for example...
No but your police service is , and the pavements you walk on and the street lighting that you use , the road network around Brighton is also part of the council tax (even if you use a bike), how about any library services you use or council offices you need to visit for paper work,the local parks , well manicured with flower beds , local council run drop in centres for the arts and free music no doubt Brighton council put on in the summer, bins on the beaches , waste bins on the streets and guess what the council tax also pays for the poorer people in society to get help , so if you are sitting on a 200000 pound boat moaning about paying council tax then there is a worry for society (yes not every one has one of theses but there lies the screwed up system.)
now for the reasonable part, there should be a reduction service for long term boat live aboards taking into account the reduced services they get from the council , but please do not take us all for fools to suggest that you all sit on the marina 365 days a year and do not venture out.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
No but your police service is , and the pavements you walk on and the street lighting that you use , the road network around Brighton is also part of the council tax (even if you use a bike), how about any library services you use or council offices you need to visit for paper work,the local parks , well manicured with flower beds , local council run drop in centres for the arts and free music no doubt Brighton council put on in the summer, bins on the beaches , waste bins on the streets and guess what the council tax also pays for the poorer people in society to get help , so if you are sitting on a 200000 pound boat moaning about paying council tax then there is a worry for society (yes not every one has one of theses but there lies the screwed up system.)
now for the reasonable part, there should be a reduction service for long term boat live aboards taking into account the reduced services they get from the council , but please do not take us all for fools to suggest that you all sit on the marina 365 days a year and do not venture out.

I'm guessing that "anon" might not see your response. He/she joined in march 2011 and contributed 2 posts, never to be spotted again. :D:D

Seven Spades

Visit site
There's an awful lot of bad feeling at Brighton over this, apart from anything else the marina has given a list of names to the council which may in itself be in contravention of the data protection act.

I think that Councils have powers under RIPA.

dslittle

Visit site
There's an awful lot of bad feeling at Brighton over this
And if you hadn't guessed already, I am a liveaboard berth holder at Brighton Marina who hasn't yet received a letter...

We kept our boat at Brighton for over 5 years and lived on board there for at least 50% of that time. We did go off during the summer cruising and always got ‘our’ berth back when we returned. We also had a flat onwhich we paid Council Tax so this was never an issue for us.

I still have friends at Brighton who I keep in touch with so I am aware of the current situation and have sympathy.

That being said, if you have been at Brighton for any length of time, I am sure that you will know that there are a number of ‘boats’ that have never moved over MANY years. I don’t doubt that some of them would not be fit to be moved. Most live aboard used to receive their post at the Marina Office until they started charging for the privilege.

Canal boats that move around have to pay the Inland Waterways but if they take up a permanent spot, they have to pay Council Tax as well.

I know that it is a contentious issue but there are a number of people (including friends) who have managed to play ‘the system’ for some time and good luck to them but they are now only being asked to pay as others do...