Council Tax on boats

strakeryrius

chasing some sunshine - or a cold beer - or both
Visit site
Idly wandering around Brighton Marina earlier today I came across a notice board for the local BHA. There was a poster warning that the local council have apparently issued notices to boats requiring them to pay Council Tax.

Now I know that houseboats have attracted the tax in the past, but never normal pleasure boats in a marina before. Has this happened anywhere else, and what is the way out? I assume that there is some exception or loophole that pleasure boaters can exercise to avoid paying it.

Firefly625

Visit site
Idly wandering around Brighton Marina earlier today I came across a notice board for the local BHA. There was a poster warning that the local council have apparently issued notices to boats requiring them to pay Council Tax.

Now I know that houseboats have attracted the tax in the past, but never normal pleasure boats in a marina before. Has this happened anywhere else, and what is the way out? I assume that there is some exception or loophole that pleasure boaters can exercise to avoid paying it.

Come on, 1st April is not for a another week.... !

AndieMac

Visit site
Last edited:

Firefly625

Visit site
Been to look at several boats in Brighton over the years,from the state of many of them the marina is chock full of liveaboards

Oh, fair enough..! I didn't think south coast Marina's generally permitted live-aboards, but certainly if your boat is your only home, then you should pay council tax... same situation if your live in a caravan.....but don't get me started on those tax dodging low life

oldgit

Visit site
Oh, fair enough..! I didn't think south coast Marina's generally permitted live-aboards, but certainly if your boat is your only home, then you should pay council tax... same situation if your live in a caravan.....but don't get me started on those tax dodging low life

Speaking to people when when looking at the boats, it was plain to see that there was quite a large LAB community in the marina.Suspect due to the price of flats and stuff in the area a boat would offer good value.
Cannot believe for one second that the marina was unaware of what was happening.It has been going on for some time,the first boat we went to look at down there would have been about 10 years ago,no effort had been made to tidy and can rememember whinging about the state of the boat after we had inspected it.
Later conversations with other prospective boat buyers who had been there, confirmed suspicions.

moonraker 36

Visit site
why should they pat c/tax?
dont they allready pay the marina for waste service's and such.
dont the marina pay buisness rates.so wont it be a case of paying the tax twice?
i lived on board for 5yrs payed c/tax ,appealed won and got 5yrs c/tax back..
got bricks and mortar and pay c/tax no prob's...
unless it's permanent connect to water and waste drains and such..
maybe they should just pay a token amount to cover street lights and such, that you dont get from the marina.but i cannt see why they should payfull when they are allready paying for services in their mooring fee's

p.s i aint no tax dogger worked since leaving school...

AndieMac

Visit site

Depends how you look at it James, there are a number of different categories for LAB berth-holders.
A). The slightly nervous, starry eyed, post 50 year olds that have just severed ties with normality, living off investments and preparing to venture forth to the unknown.

B). The most numerous example (by far), the middle aged man, recently separated/divorced and trying to sort out his life, living in (maybe) his last asset of any real value.

C). The transient tertiary student, staying onboard the family boat during semestars.

Personally I like the LAB's, our own are a great help during after office hour periods and making visitors feel welcome, by grabbing a line and a friendly chat.

oldgit

Visit site
"cannt see why they should payfull when they are allready paying for services in their mooring fee's"

Paid via your main residence a minimum of £1000 and up £3000 in Brighton .

County Council District Council Parish Council
Schools Refuse collection Tourism
Social Services (old people's homes, meals on wheels, home helps, children's homes, social workers, day centres etc) Parks, leisure centres, swimming pools etc Village halls and community facilities
Libraries Collecting Council Tax Footpaths and bridleways
Roads Pest control Parks and open spaces
Waste disposal Housing Cemeteries
Country parks Public conveniences
Trading Standards Car parks
Registrars (births, marriages, deaths) War memorials and other monuments

People who only park their boats in the Marina are making a substantial contribution via their main home and then again via the boat.
LABs are paying nothing like their fair share,suspect a tiny tiny fraction of marina mooring fee is rates..................We are all in this together ? :)

Last edited:

Gemini

Visit site
The statement is True - Many of the LAB berth holders have received letters from the council , and responces for individual's that it afffects, there's info on the BMBHA web site.

Another controversial issue for everyone.

There has been meetings with all parties, Berth Holders, Premier and Council not sure of the current status.

Regards

Other threads that may be of interest