Could the live aboard fraternity pass on some tips please?

Networks

Visit site
OldBawley, do you know where we can get a Wonderwash? We were given one that has finally given up the ghost, it was great for washing on board but can't find where to get a new one from.

geem

Visit site
do your self a favor and leave the washing machine behind .
you need plenty of ,power ,water and space for a washing machine let alone the weight of the thing .
if you really don't want to do the washing by hand , then find a laundry , other wise all you need is some buckets .
if you do take it , you be back in a few months asking how to fix bigger water tank and more power .
best advise every is , keep it simple and all you problem will be simple too.

Excellent advise

OldBawley

Visit site
OldBawley, do you know where we can get a Wonderwash? We were given one that has finally given up the ghost, it was great for washing on board but can't find where to get a new one from.

Amazon sells them.

I found both of the wonder wash. Had to repair the plastic one, the aluminium ( probably one of the first models ) is great. I painted the drum black, sitting in the sun the water gets hot.
I can even put the drum directly onto the wood fire pipe. ( See pic in previous post )
Just a few small branches and the water is piping hot.
I also use the drum to heat water for our cockpit shower. No indoor shower on our 71 year old boat.

I put the wash drum filled with 12 litres of water onto our wood burning stove till just about the right temperature. Then poor the hot water into the barrel who feeds our cockpit shower pump.
That 35 l olive oil barrel is normally heated by the sun, in the Med a better temperature than those solar shower bags. ( who can´t be cleaned anyway. )
We have a completely closed winter tent over our big cockpit. Double roof. Big windows. Creates a wonderful outdoor indoor living space. And a very roomy shower.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Jeez, get a T shirt made ' no I am not local I am waiting for parts'

I loved that one. We once came across a yacht (two aboard) that'd already been sat in a $100/night marina in Sardinia for six weeks and was still waiting for dishwasher parts to arrive; a new unit would've been less than their marina bill!

Our theory of cruising says that if you don't install 'it' in the first place, then it will never break down; if it's already been installed and is still working, then try not to use it or it will break down. KISS

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
Yes I've tried to apply the KISS principle as far as I can go.

Mrs S keeps coming back for more sailing but at the cost of that principle in a few areas.

After our Twister 28' (fantastic boats),
* The next boat (a few years back), had to have heating or the boat must be in warmer climes.
* It had to have tanked hot water and basic shower facility.
* It had to have a little more living space generally.

S.

alig99

Visit site
Excellent advise
this is not excellent advice as it is not always possible to find a lauderette, who wants to do washing by and or lug it down to a laundry if you can find one. Camping washing machine's are small and light but do a great job. If you and your partner wish to struggle doing hand washing (why were washing machines invented in the first place) that's fine but you and others please don't be so dismissive of other people views.

ip485

Visit site
I loved that one. We once came across a yacht (two aboard) that'd already been sat in a $100/night marina in Sardinia for six weeks and was still waiting for dishwasher parts to arrive; a new unit would've been less than their marina bill!

Our theory of cruising says that if you don't install 'it' in the first place, then it will never break down; if it's already been installed and is still working, then try not to use it o it will break down.

Never had any of the kit break down - buy new and its good for four years, and then replace the lot. Good quality kit is very reliable these days as long as you look after it - its usually poor maintenace that is the cause, or porr installation.

Anything that does require spare parts, just carry a selection on board.

Just think of all that time sat at remote anchorages without having to worry about taking a shower, and wasting time doing the washing - better things to do, like drink another beer out the freezer.

Caladh

Visit site
this is not excellent advice as it is not always possible to find a lauderette, who wants to do washing by and or lug it down to a laundry if you can find one. Camping washing machine's are small and light but do a great job. If you and your partner wish to struggle doing hand washing (why were washing machines invented in the first place) that's fine but you and others please don't be so dismissive of other people views.

I think the OP would find that "good advice". You don't find many long term cruising boats with washing machines installed unless they are 40'+. and you have the space, water and power to accommodate them. I believe most of us like the KISS principle. I think you are being rather dismissive of others "advice". We use laundries if we find them or do it ourselves - it's all part of the cruising life.

RAI

Visit site
I think the OP would find that "good advice". You don't find many long term cruising boats with washing machines installed unless they are 40'+. and you have the space, water and power to accommodate them. I believe most of us like the KISS principle. I think you are being rather dismissive of others "advice". We use laundries if we find them or do it ourselves - it's all part of the cruising life.
Horses for courses. In San Sebastian, I missed a washing machine and the laundry was a trot away and not so cheap. So bucket country. In Lagos, 3 euro a pop, no probs. KISS may be a philosophy of necessity. Most landlubbers like to have washing machines.

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
Over on Scuttlebut, I'm trying to get some help and advice for when Mrs S. and I spend some months aboard.

Could you help please with some simple inexpensive tips?
see.... http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?448877-Tips-for-long-periods-of-cruising

many thanks,
S.

We liveaboard in some degree of comfort... having left a lovely land based home I was determined not to 'camp' on our boat. It seems to have paid off as we are now 17 years in to the adventure.

In that time we have never had a washing machine, and never missed one. Marina laundries tend to be pretty good, when 'off-piste' I have a stainless steel 'dolly' and a bucket- more than adequate for all but the heaviest of towels, in tropical parts a local lady can usually be found to flog seven kinds of hell out of one's smalls etc.

The BBQ was used daily in hot climates, keeping the boat cooler and fresher than cooking below. We have a magma and I fitted it with a pizza stone so that we can enjoy excellent pizzas too. In colder climes the pressure cooker was excellent. Quick prep for soups, stew etc. kept gas useage down when out in the wilds.

Good fishing gear and a sharp filleting knife. Read up about fishing and get the right kit for the area you are in- nothing beats dining on the results.....

If we are really out of the reach of stores etc for months at a time I grow a tub of cut and come again salad leaves, minimal effort produces, on average a cutting once a week for a couple. A real treat once the fresh produce is getting thin on the ground. Likewise there is always a pot or two of my favourite herbs in the galley.

A good wind scoop for the fore hatch will ease sleeping in the Tropics.

So much really depends on the geography of where you are sailing and what you consider ' longer-term'

Have fun.