Could the live aboard fraternity pass on some tips please?

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
There are now two launderette in Cangas now why I doubt know but seem to be a roaring successOne right on the sea front

Yes the one straight across from the marina is the best I've experienced anywhere and I did see they had opened a second in the town. In the time we were in the area last summer we used it three times.
They have machines that actually work well and quick too. The huge one takes a great deal of wash and the dryers seem to work well even on moderate heat.

S.

Last edited:

OldBawley

Visit site
After France launderettes became hard to find. Wintering on the canal Du Midi I remember cycling 36 kilometres along the tow path to get to a city with a launderette. Furthermore, one had to stay with the coin machine or your laundry was gone.
So apart from been expensive, laundrettes are time consuming.
Got me a Wonder wash. Later acquired an aluminium version. Build a window wiper engine on it. Solar powered. The motor proved to be unnecessary. Washing action does not need a lot of tumbling. Every hour a turn or five is sufficient. Pressure and soap do the rest.
Rinsing is most important. I rinse 4 times.
As to rinsing , since getting water is more and more difficult here in Greece I now rinse in seawater to get rid of dirt and soap, then a last time in sweet water. Reduces the amount of sweet water needed for one “ Machine” with 50%.
Boil washing is done only a few times a year ( See pic )

Really big stuff is washed like this :

Laundry is cleaner than any automatic machine can achieve.
Many laundry services in Turkey use cold water, then put gallons of perfume on the laundry to mask the iffy smell. Bunk smells like a whore house for days.

Costs have been reduced to soap and a lot of work. I don't mind the work. Keeps me fit. I actually like rowing or dingy sailing to the well to get water.

“Our “ well :

Btw, one time I did a boil wash in the aluminium Wonder wash. The stuff was so hot I let everything cool down in the closed drum.
Next morning I discovered the drum had vacuumed itself by cooling down, I could not open the lid for several days. After opening I had to throw away the laundry, smelled gully. No way to get rid of the smell.
Never ever leave laundry in soapy water for more than 24 hours.

geem

Visit site
We have found that a washing machine is not necessary. Builder rubble buckets do just as good a job. The clothes don't need that much agitation. The bigger issue when you have a lot of washing to do is the quantity of water you use and the amount of rinsing needed to remove the soap. We found that it is far more important to have a spinner to remove the soap as this saves water. Our spinner runs on an inverter.
We are fortunate enough to have a diesel generator so we normally make water and run the immersion heater on wash day.
The first two gallons of water from the watermaker normally has high TDS so we collect it in a can and use it as rinse water for washing or use it to rinse the cockpit on none wash day.
The rubble buckets stow in the forward locker with ropes in them so really don't take up and space. The spinner stows in the back cabin.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Get a rubble, or indeed any large bucket and lash it to the pushpit on the quarter, then add clothes, water, liquid soap and cover with a poly bag (dustbin type'll do) secured with a bungy, then go sailing; we've gone upmarket nowadays and have a bucket with a screw-on lid. We haven't used a laundrette in the last ten years; though it does rely on sunshine to dry things afterwards, so not likely to be so successful in UK/northern waters.

Scotty_Tradewind

Visit site
Get your paperwork right to void un-expected fines!
See http://www.jimbsail.info/going-foreign

Your website gives an excellent account of what's needed.

In the past few years we have been looked over by French and Spanish authorities 3 times.

Once 13 miles off the French coast coming north. Twice in Spain, one of which whilst at anchor and once whilst moored in a marina.

It is all o.k. if papers all relate to you and one another. Boat papers, passports, insurance, ICC, radio papers etc,.
Having your photo on certificates that match your passport they seem to like.

We welcomed them aboard mostly other than the French whose timekeeping meant that we were risking not making the Needles channel for the tide in.

S.

Scotty_Tradewind

Visit site
Get a rubble, or indeed any large bucket and lash it to the pushpit on the quarter, then add clothes, water, liquid soap and cover with a poly bag (dustbin type'll do) secured with a bungy, then go sailing; we've gone upmarket nowadays and have a bucket with a screw-on lid. We haven't used a laundrette in the last ten years; though it does rely on sunshine to dry things afterwards, so not likely to be so successful in UK/northern waters.

Perfect!

S.

capnsensible

Visit site
My tip.

You need far less 'stuff' to go long term cruising than you think. People tend to load the boat up with all sorts of junk that looks good in a brochure, or someone on a forum says you 'can't live without' etc, etc.

So I would say, go with as little as possible, save yer dosh and get what you find you need on the way. Other countries do have shops! Often cheaper too.

Regular clear outs work. Be brutal. If you haven;t used it in the last 5 years, chances are you never will, so bin it.

Anyway, thats what Ive found over the last 18 years of living aboard! :encouragement:

geem

Visit site
My tip.

You need far less 'stuff' to go long term cruising than you think. People tend to load the boat up with all sorts of junk that looks good in a brochure, or someone on a forum says you 'can't live without' etc, etc.

So I would say, go with as little as possible, save yer dosh and get what you find you need on the way. Other countries do have shops! Often cheaper too.

Regular clear outs work. Be brutal. If you haven;t used it in the last 5 years, chances are you never will, so bin it.

Anyway, thats what Ive found over the last 18 years of living aboard! :encouragement:

Good advice. We have plenty of empty lockers on our boat. We ditched the washing machine before we left. Was in engine room and compromised access to generator so it went in the skip!

Scotty_Tradewind

Visit site
My tip.

Yes, agree in most part. Our problem was, that when we left U.K. in June, we didn't know how far we'd get and where we may end up and what 'useful' kit may be relevant .

The outcome of that is, we are planning to take our large old c4 grande to Spain as empty as possible, to bring back all the things we don't need and are now clogging up too much space in lockers etc..

S.

RAI

Visit site
On washing, Candy make a 50x50x70 cm automatic washing machine, takes 3 kg. OK for marinas with no facilities.

A wet 'n dry vacuum cleaner is still my most often used tool.

At sea, the autohelm/wind vane is your best friend, makes sure you have spares, they fail otherwise.

Scotty_Tradewind

Visit site
On washing, Candy make a 50x50x70 cm automatic washing machine, takes 3 kg. OK for marinas with no facilities.

A wet 'n dry vacuum cleaner is still my most often used tool.

At sea, the autohelm/wind vane is your best friend, makes sure you have spares, they fail otherwise.

I have a 3KW inverter which will run about 2.25's worth of goods so no problem power wise in or out of a marina, but where on earth I'd put a washing machine that size, I have no idea.......... ah, of course, get rid of all the junk I've got on board and covert one of the enormous cockpit lockers I guess. Water vac, I had one and left it at home but the wind vane is still there but little used after crossing Biscay.

S.

ip485

Visit site
I find the best option is a Bosch combined washer, tumble dryer, an 8KW Genset, a Seafresh Water Maker, 300 gallon water tanks, reverse cycle air con to get rid of the heat from the tumble dryer and a good dehumidifier to get rid of the moisture ;-)

Having a combined unit is a nuisance, a seperate washing machine and tumble dryer would be better.

Last edited:

Peroo

Visit site
Why go cruising with a washing machine anyway? Wear the least you are comfortable in (many cruisers will wear very little when at sea anyway, in warmer climes it must be said) and change when the other half complains. Saves a lot of money, plumbing and hassle, though I admit it may not appeal to all. You can always wash in salt water and rinse in fresh - passes the time and a black plastic bag filled with clothes, a little soap powder and some water on a rolling deck is almost as good as a washing machine.

Have to agree with Captain Sensible - don't take too much stuff - much can be found if needed.

Tips:
Learn some key phrases in the local language(s).
Garden sprayers are a great way of cooling down if you can't have a dip in the sea.
Get a good dinghy and outboard.

geem

Visit site
I find the best option is a Bosch combined washer, tumble dryer, an 8KW Genset, a Seafresh Water Maker, 300 gallon water tanks, reverse cycle air con to get rid of the heat from the tumble dryer and a good dehumidifier to get rid of the moisture ;-)

Having a combined unit is a nuisance, a seperate washing machine and tumble dryer would be better.

Jeez, get a T shirt made ' no I am not local I am waiting for parts'

sailaboutvic

Visit site
do your self a favor and leave the washing machine behind .
you need plenty of ,power ,water and space for a washing machine let alone the weight of the thing .
if you really don't want to do the washing by hand , then find a laundry , other wise all you need is some buckets .
if you do take it , you be back in a few months asking how to fix bigger water tank and more power .
best advise every is , keep it simple and all you problem will be simple too.