Cost of sails

sailingawayforayearandaday.blogspot.com
Well I would, but they wont say a word without knowing every dimension. I cant get the measurements at the moment as the mast is down. It's all, oh it depends etc etc.

My sailmaker here can duplicate the old sails, and he made them in the first place so knows exactly what to do.

What I am after is a very rough ballpark for sails of that size. I cant believe that the tiny details in size are going to make that much difference in price for a 15m2 dacron crosscut fully battened main. I am looking at a quote of about £1500 for the pair from my local sail maker, which seems rather a lot.

AIDY

www.ybw.com
I would suggest that sounds like a good deal. just bought a new mainsail for 2.8K for a 38 foot boat... Sail price's change dependant on time of year you can get good deals during the summer months when the sailmakers are not busy. normally knock the VAT off !

smth448

Visit site
If you have the old sails and somewhere big enough to spread them out simply take some measurements. Luff and foot length should be enough for the main and luff and luff to clew perpendicular should do for the genoa.
That should be enough for a quote.
£1500 from your local sailmaker does not seem that high to me. You do get what you pay for in sails. Cheap sails will not last as long as the cloth will be of a lower spec. Reinforcing will not be done as well.
Bear in mind a fully battened sail will be more expensive than a soft sail due to the increased labour in putting all the long batten pockets in.
A local sailmaker will be able to come out to your boat and measure it himself and will probably come out and make sure they fit properly when they are delivered.
Support your local sailmaker. He's under a lot of pressure form the factories in the far east who churn out sails for 40p a go!

RobBrown

Visit site
I purchased a 3 reef 8 oz marblehead Dacron semi- batten main from Crusader last yr for my Moody 29 and complete with stack pack & lazyjacks, bill was between 900-£1000- so about £700 for the main? In recent queries re a crosscut 130-150% Genoa, ball park figure was £500-600.

Thoroughly recommend Crusader- v helpful with quotes, suggestions, excellent competitive final product & UK manufacture.

alan

Visit site
Go to:
www.crusadersails.co.uk

You can request a quote on-line, and they e-mail a quote within a couple of days. I have had a main, ginaker and MPG from them and the sails are top quality. Their prices are very competitive. Their site gives you all the details for making the measurements and they will also quote you for shipping to e.g. Sweden.
For your saiols I would guesstimate 1200-1300 GBP but depends on number of reefs e.t.c.
No connection e.t.c. e.t.c.

Alan.

morgandlm

Visit site
I was recently quoted £510 +VAT for a part battened main (12.2 sq.m.) using 6.3 US oz cloth and £735 + VAT for a furling genoa with foam luff and UV strip (22.5 sq.m.) using 5.7 US oz cloth. This for basic spec sails.
Morgan

Skylark

Visit site
Hi Tommy,

Before owning my Beneteau, I had a Tetis 8.8 which I bought from just south of Stockholm. It had a new mainsail, beautifully made from high quality fabric. I put a new 120 Genoa on her and traded pricing info with the former owner. Relatively, there was very little to choose. I'd stick with your local supplier and get the best deal you're able to negotiate.

Happy sailing

David.

MarAzul

Visit site
Now's the time. you'll get 20% off at the show, well I did at southampton in September, I guess the London show will be similar.
My 34 footer cost about £2.8k but that's full battened main and crusing laminate tri radial genoa. Dacron prices, std batterns were around the £2k mark from Westaways in Devon. But all the usual suspects were there or thereabouts. My neighbour on the river used Jeckells for a Sadler 32 and he paid about £1800. If you want cheaper the the HongKomg sail makers are worth a look. A mate paid £480 for a 140% genoa for a 26 footer, just check cloth weights, number of rows of stitching, cringle specs and reefing points