Cost of living in the Algarve

Visit site
I've never seen this point raised when comparing marinas. DECO ( the Portuguese Which ) has just compared supermarket pricing using 100 as benchmark. Jumbo in Faro has 100, Jumbo in Portimão has 102 and the most expensive on the Algarve list is Spar in Lagos with 130 and Intermarché Lagos 122.

Visit site
Pingo in Lagos is really cheap and they are just building a brand new one....agree with Intermarche though that is expensive and why we never go there..... don't even know where the Spar is.....is there one in Lagos ?

GrahamM376

Visit site
Did a shop yesterday at Continente, dearer than Pingo but our local one at Alges (near Lisbon) is closed for renovation. Having said that, most everyday foods are cheaper than UK, but cosmetics/shampoos etc far dearer. Eating out certainly cheaper, 7 of us had lunch yesterday, 3 courses + wine + coffee, €91 and many cheaper places around. Living anywhere in Portugal much cheaper than UK, provided tourist traps are avoided. Public transport often cheaper than driving as well due to motorway tolls.

GHA

Visit site
Did a shop yesterday at Continente, dearer than Pingo but our local one at Alges (near Lisbon) is closed for renovation. Having said that, most everyday foods are cheaper than UK, but cosmetics/shampoos etc far dearer. Eating out certainly cheaper, 7 of us had lunch yesterday, 3 courses + wine + coffee, €91 and many cheaper places around. Living anywhere in Portugal much cheaper than UK, provided tourist traps are avoided. Public transport often cheaper than driving as well due to motorway tolls.

Many Pingos have excellent cafeterias as well, fresh dorada and some wine for 7 odd euros.

Pingo's prices must rival lidl for many items, Lidl getting bit posh these days ;)

Richard10002

Visit site
Assuming it's not moved, Pingo us very handy for the marina. Spar is always going to be at the costlier end of a comparison. They are about being convenient, and there is a price to pay for that.

Visit site
I'm afraid that you'll have to be a bit more specific . What expenses do you have in mind ?
Will you be living aboard ? in which case marina fees are important.
Will you be renting or buying ?
You are probably not aware but but there is a tremendous difference from one end to the other, far west "The wet end" is a fraction of the price of the international jet set's playground, Quinta do Lago and the farther inland the cheaper as a rule of thumb.

nortada

Visit site
I'm afraid that you'll have to be a bit more specific . What expenses do you have in mind ?
Will you be living aboard ? in which case marina fees are important.
Will you be renting or buying ?
You are probably not aware but but there is a tremendous difference from one end to the other, far west "The wet end" is a fraction of the price of the international jet set's playground, Quinta do Lago and the farther inland the cheaper as a rule of thumb.

Believe 25391, is referring to costs living ashore❓

I refer to costs living afloat.

What size of boat❓If it just mooring costs you want the 5 main marinas (Lagos, Portimao, Albufeira, Vilamoura and Vila Real) all post their berthing dues. Many/most boats take a winter mooring but cruise during the summer (16 Jun - 16 Sep) when berthing fees are extortionate.

Outside boating costs, the cost of living is what you make it but unless you want UK brand names and avoid baked beans, overall about 60-70% of UK costs. If you eat out a lot and drink more you can get an even cheaper comparison with the UK?✅

Believe the West (Silver) Coast is a fair bit cheaper but you don’t get the weather.

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I would like to know the average monthly expenses specifically for the Algarve region. If someone can help me with any suggestions I will appreciate that. Thanks in advance.

Which monthly expenses, can you be more specific? Costs will vary wildly depending on where one lives, property in holiday vila or apartment developments is expensive and so are the service/maintenance charges whereas a few miles back from the sea prices are far cheaper. If you can see the sea or marina, expect to pay double or more for a meal, compared to where the locals go. Cost of food and drink and eating out is generally far cheaper than UK, electrical goods and electronics tend to be dearer. Cars very expensive compared to UK, fuel roughly the same price but servicing is far cheaper due to lower labour rates. Don't know the cost of annual marina berths, we have a mooring.