Corribee Sacrifical Anode

Corto

www.simonepierotti.com
Guys,

I'm an happy Italian owner of a 21 Corribee down here in Tuscany. I am restoring the boat purchased in Netherlands some years ago. I removed the old inboard for a small outboard (am I crazy enough?), of course the anode was installed on the propeller shaft, now there is only the propeller through hull that I believe is brass and is properly sealed and not linked to any other metal. On the rudder side the boat have a small skeg with at the bottom end what I believe is a brass pintle that support the rudder stock that seems stainless steel.
My question is, since those two metals (the pintle and the stock) are different, should be installed a sacrifical anode somewere to avoid corrosion?
Many thanks

Tranona

Visit site
Unlikely. The pintle will be bronze, not plain brass and the shaft will be 316 stainless. If it has not corroded now it will not in the future. The anode on the shaft would do nothing for rudder fittings. You may well find some wear in the bronze unless it has an insert bearing as it provides the bearing material. Very common arrangement and apart from possible wear, trouble free.

Suggest you remove the propeller and plug the stern tube. No point in carrying the drag of a propeller that is not used for propulsion.

Corto

www.simonepierotti.com
Tranona,
Thanks for your reply, I will look for the insert that I guess should be a sort of plastic or teflon?.
I actually removed the propeller and closed the stern tube right after removing the engine.
A second look to my first thread make clear to me that I need an advanced english class!!

Tranona

Visit site
If there is an insert it should be an acetal such as Delrin. It will be obvious if you clean away the antifoul from the top of the fitting where the rudder stock goes in.
Yes, you confused me with your second sentence saying " only the propeller through hull" when you meant the stern tube. You have learned another term which will be useless in any other situation!