Correct/safe gas installation

charlie

Visit site
I need to have the Gas installation redone on the boat I am purchasing. Who do I speak to/where do I look, to ascertain the standards.

Thanks for any help,

Charlie

colinroybarrett

www.kahawi.co.uk
Where to find the standards:-

Charlie,

In Europe the “Recreational Craft Directive” defines build quality and other recommendations. Here, on the Inland Waterways, almost all recreational craft are now required to pass a sub-set of the RCD – the “Boat Safety Scheme” examination. The BSS specifically defines standards for gas installations, amongst many other things; ventilation, electrical and fuel installations etc.

In consequence of this mandatory test coming into being, an association of BSS examiners has been set-up:-

http://www.abse.org.uk

Who may be willing to offer practical advice?

Otherwise, a “boatowner” copy of all the specifications for the BSS, including LPG, can be obtained from:-

British Waterways
Willow Grange
Church Road
Watford
WD17 4QA
Tel: 01923 226422

boatsafetyscheme@dial.pipex.com - Phone: 01923 201278

If you engage a professional gas fitter to work for you, they MUST be a “Corgi Registered LPG installer”.

Gas and other LPG installations specification from the Government:-

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1998/19982451.htm - this is heavy going!

In short, if you are not based (or ever going to use) the inland waterways - Do as you feel safe. Otherwise, read and comply with the specifications already defined in these UK standards.

Cheers, CRB

Juggler7823

Visit site
This thread of gas installation has been rumbling along on the PBO forum for around a month. Many people have said to use CORGI installers. I do not know where the idea that these people are trained to install gas ON BOATS comes from. Those I have spoke with do not have this training nor do they know of the gas requirements of the boat safety scheme (OK it only applies to boats used inland)
Two CORGIs (is that the correct noun?) would not tackle a boat because they were not insured!

colinroybarrett

www.kahawi.co.uk
#’Twas on a Monday morning, when the Gas-Man came

This whole CORGI problem shows up just how stupid the EU and their regulations can be? The BSS states that NO WORK can be undertaken on LPG installations unless the worker is CORGI.

Now, the fun thing is, that part of the BSS test, is to tap into the gas line and run a leak test. Since a registered BSS examiner, who may not necessarily be a CORGI man can only do the BSS test; he is, by default excluded from making this leak test?

The problem gets better:- IF he finds a leak; he can’t fix it, OR make the system safe, unless he is CORGI registered? Well you can work out the rest of the combinations yourselves?

To quote Roy above:- (OK it only applies to boats used inland) I’m afraid, given another Labour run of five years, you’d all better take a look at the BSS, I don’t think it will be long before its scope widens to encompass ALL EU registered boats, by whatever means “registration” is construed.

Does anyone REALLY know what is going on please?

CRB