Cork, City Centre mooring

Gwylan

Visit site
Anyone been up to the City of Cork pontoon?

Well, like fools we have, frankly it's a bit dodgy.

Our experience was that for most of the trip we had an eye on the depth sounder for large parts of the trip. We draw 1,2m so when the depth starts getting less than 2m I start to pay close attention. This experience rather goes against the chart data and our old friend Navionics. No way is the channel dredged to 5 m

Having got here all that matters is that you pay your dues. No a sign of a human being and no response to the phone number listed. VHF seems to have been uninvented in Eire anyway.
The dues are reasonable. But €5 for electricity seems a bit thick.
If you think €20 is good value for no facilities and not much security. But you can part with €5 at a nearby hotel for a shower, can include a swim in their pool.

For once the pilot book was right in encouraging visitors to go to Crosshaven.

Part of the pontoon appropriated by large tour boat and sundry small motor boats. The latter are encourage by a large sign to moor on the inside of the pontoon, but.... probably don't notice their wake when the pass other boats too.

Actually being in the vicinity of the centre of the city is nice. But I am not convinced it was worth the effort.

Others experiences?

robmcg

Visit site
Back in 2015 we were advised to give it a miss as it was described as 'a bit rough and not very secure'. We stayed at Crosshaven and caught the bus in to Cork. Sadly, as a city, Cork is somewhat forgettable unless you are in to lots of churches.

johnalison

Visit site
Back in 2015 we were advised to give it a miss as it was described as 'a bit rough and not very secure'. We stayed at Crosshaven and caught the bus in to Cork. Sadly, as a city, Cork is somewhat forgettable unless you are in to lots of churches.
We went to Crosshaven in 2003. I vaguely remember that there was a possibility of stopping at Cobh but I may be wrong. We also bussed into Cork, where my grandfather came from. We just had the one day there but it was quite entertaining.

I think that we started with the butter museum, which I recall as being quite interesting. There was a church nearby which I think had English connections. It was possible for visitors to ring the bells but I think we were too shy to do so.the art gallery was not bad, in a provincial sort of way. At the time all the streets were being dug up for new drains, sewers or something, so getting around was sometimes awkward. The main tragedy of the day was that it wasn't one of the Beamish brewery's open days. We had lunch in a city pub, with a good carvery. I got myself a large Beamish and watched as the place filled with office workers who all helped themselves to glasses of tap water from a large tray, leaving me as the only person drinking alcohol in the whole pub, which was a bit of culture shock.

Dyflin

Visit site
Very surprised to hear of any depth issues at the city moorings. We regularly used the berth on the old merchant navy training ship Cill Airne, when she was berthed on that quay wall for many long years. Never any issue with depths and it is a commercial harbour to very close berths in the river. Cork city has its charms, the English Market is a favourite with British royals after all! The passage up to Cork is lovely and worth it for the scenery alone. There were issues in the past with security but if this is still the case, then an email to the HM office would definitely be in order.

It would also be unwise to ignore VHF use, especially in a busy commercial harbour, you may not get a response, but you will be watched...