Corinth Canal

dgadee

Visit site
Just seen a post on the canal website that they will be be open from 5th July to end October 2022 for sailing. Too late for me, unfortunately.

Ink

Visit site
Passed through three years ago on a circumnavigation of the Peloponese. Blink and you miss it. Eye wateringly expensive even compared to the Crinan.

Ink

dgadee

Visit site
Passed through three years ago on a circumnavigation of the Peloponese. Blink and you miss it. Eye wateringly expensive even compared to the Crinan.

Ink

What would you recommend when I go the longer way round?

Ink

Visit site
Sorry. I should have said "shame that you won't get through this time, but it may tickle your toes that it is indeed quite costly for the length."

That better ??

Ink

dgadee

Visit site
Sorry. I should have said "shame that you won't get through this time, but it may tickle your toes that it is indeed quite costly for the length."

That better ??

Ink

No good. I want advice on what's worth seeing and stopping on southerly route. I presume you've done it?

Last edited:

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
No good. I want advice on what's worth seeing and stopping on southerly route. I presume you've done it?
I've not done the circuit. And though I'm sure we visited Kalamata (maybe before that fuss with the plane spotters!) I don't remember anything about it.

But we did make the effort to visit Monemvasia last summer, having not been there before other than 1987. It is a very distinctive place; don't go straight past!
1987: photos.google.com/album/...
2021: photos.google.com/share/...

dgadee

Visit site
I've not done the circuit. And though I'm sure we visited Kalamata (maybe before that fuss with the plane spotters!) I don't remember anything about it.

But we did make the effort to visit Monemvasia last summer, having not been there before other than 1987. It is a very distinctive place; don't go straight past!
1987: photos.google.com/album/...
2021: photos.google.com/share/...

Couldn't see the first album but that blue sky! Going out in three weeks. Escape from the cold.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Couldn't see the first album but that blue sky! Going out in three weeks. Escape from the cold.
If you go into Kalamata don't be put off by the immediate surrounding of the Marina, take a walk through the railway park into town. The big AB supermarket used to deliver for free if you spent over €60, and if you like olives you will be in 7th heaven.

Davy_S

Visit site
There is shop at one of the streets at a right angle to the main drag, it sells the best ice creams i have ever seen, any flavour you want, plus a complete counter full of a choice of toppings, it was like watching an artist at work! all for two europs each.:)

Cspirit

Visit site
For what it’s worth, I’ve done the circuit and the canal twice and my suggestion would be a) don’t go north through the CanaI i.e towards Corinth, because going West through the Gulf of Corinth always seems to be a beat to windward and a royal PITA. On the other hand, I found the the trip anti clockwise around the Peloponnese delightful and I agree with other’s comments re Kalimanta.