Copper bottoms

Able

Visit site
I read in Y. M. that Copperbot has not worked in the Caribbean. Has anyone experience of the stick on copper cladding working in the Caribbean and everywhere else?

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
no experience of the protective tiles (ask NASA;-)

can confirm that copper/epoxy doesn't work well in the caribbean. we developed an inch of calcareous growth in 6 weeks moored in st maarten.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
aubrey, hornblower, bolitho et al used metallic copper sheet but still needed to drydock or careen to clean off the bottom. there are many references to 'clean copper/ recently docked' in those accounts so i don't think it really did work, except to keep out the teredo!

<hr width=100% size=1>

scarlett

French Canals 2007 on, Hull most of winter. previo
Visit site
If it is of interest, 'Coppercoat' has been perfect for four months afloat in the summer in the eastern Med. Crowds of barnacles on untreated areas but just a very light slime on the copper. It is extremely dificult to apply in a warm climate though. I would use it again but get some one else to apply it!

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Why is it difficult to apply in a warm climate? I was considering using it, but.......and if it doesn't work in the caribbean, then I wont.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
the problem with application is getting the speed of reaction right. the manufacturers should be able to give you a suitable formula for any temperature.

lowered viscosity could also be a problem but again the manufacturers should be able to solve that.

i did some epoxy repair work in the caribbean, i used the 'slow' hardener and there was plenty of working time. there is also a 'tropical' hardener but we found it unnecessary.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Planning to go caribbean wise in a couple or three years, if it doesn't work, it's a very expensive mistake on a 57' boat! I'll stick with my bought at fishermans stores antifoul prices, I know that works, anywhere. I've just aquired some copper rich with biocide, hempels at a very knock down price, but in 20L drums. My brother is bringing it down to the meddy with him from UK. That will last me for the next four years, with the new coats I've already got on.

<hr width=100% size=1>

scarlett

French Canals 2007 on, Hull most of winter. previo
Visit site
Coppercoat pot life was reduced from about one hour under UK conditions to as little as five minutes when the temperature was in the upper 20s or low 30s, making it a complete frantic rush. [ Tip= work only in the shade ] It then goes on too thick towards the end of the pot if you are not careful, leading to runs and curtains. I am not an expert on epoxy resin but it appears to lose viscosity for a short time as it cures. This means that you think you have got it on right and mix your next pot. A mixture of epoxy, hardener, thinner, and copper and you return to find runs waiting for you. It had to be sanded off and a final coat added. Two more days work on a 30' boat. The job of removing all, the old antifouling, then random sanding the gel coat with 60 grit, then 400 microns of epoxy preventative then the copper took about three weeks. I might be a slow worker.

The good news is that under conditions of 30 - 40% humidity there was little danger of moisture related problems in the hull glassfibre. And it works as an antifouling.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
a/f for caribbean

the shops out there still sell TBT which is the accepted thing for those waters. i guess the best thing is to put on your regular cheap stuff for the crossing then re-paint out there.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: a/f for caribbean

Yes, I'll be doing that, checking all seacocks, shafts, cutlasses etc. before I leave europe. But I did think TBT was nolw banned worldwide, thats not to say I didn't see some for sale in Malta and Tunisia, but in 20L drums!

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
Re: a/f for caribbean

last year it was in all the shops and the yards were using it in st maarten. it was available in the normal can sizes.

<hr width=100% size=1>