cooling tell tale

fiddle

Visit site
My Moody's cooling water outlet is far aft in the side of the hull just in front of the transom. It actually points down towards the water. When I first start the engine I can hear the gurgle of water / exauhst as it hits the surface. Underway on a smooth sea it sounds like a paddle steamer. Very satisfying.
But when motoring in a noisy sea with slapping and surging I cant hear it. Because of its location I cant see it either.
The engine is a Thornicroft 95. Can I install some kind of tell tale which can be vented high up on the hull like on some westerlies with a 2003?
How do you suggest I do it. Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

<hr width=100% size=1>

johnsomerhausen

Visit site
you could drill and tap a hole in the exhaust elbow just below the point where the wtar comes out of the collector and lead a snall diameter hose or pipe to discharge just above one of your cockpit drains. As long as there's water coming out of there, you'll know it has cooled the engine.That's a pretty "low-tech" sol;ution. A high-tech one was published some years back in PBO. It involved a level gauge in the watder strainer and a dedicated chip that sounded an alarm if the water level in the Vetus strainer fell below a certain level.
john

<hr width=100% size=1>

LeytonC

Visit site
What about an exauhst temperature alarm? sounds buzzer if exauhst gets to hot?
force 4 do 1 for about 100 quid (not used it myself, but thinking about it)

<hr width=100% size=1>Thanks

Leyton
(EXTAR Solutions - Software that works for you)

chippie

Visit site
I recently helped a mate deliver a stern drive launch that had the telltale exiting from the deck just in front of the transom angled rearwards. I found it very easy to check , particularly as we were new to the boat and checked it more often than normal.

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
Don't you have a temperature gauge for the engine as this will give you just as quick a warning.

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>