Coolant problems resolved

Piers

www.playdeau.com
Further to previous coolant posts, the coolant problems I was having on Play d'eau appear to have gone away. Here's the history,

2 x KAD42 - 700 hours each, both losing about a quarter pint coolant through the overflow into the bilge per trip.

Larger header bottles fitted. No change. Finally, heads off, skimmed to ensure they were absolutely flat; valves re-seated; new head gaskets, heat exchangers and oil coolers sent off for de-scaling; small leak found in one of the heat exchangers - rectified.

boatone gave me a formula for coolant expansion - really helpful. Given 20 ltrs of coolant per engine, I find I can expect some 1.65 pints expansion.

boatone also suggested I RTFM. Lo and behold, the manual says the bottle min and max marks are for when the engine is hot - not cold.

On questioning Volvo Watford, they showed surprise at the hot level, and suggested engines are checked when hot (!) and not when cold....when cold, expect the level to be almost invisible....

However, having carried out a full sea trial today, I can report the water temps are now perfect at some 8 degrees less than usual.

On return to Berthon, no coolant leakage at all. Levels at min on return when the engines were hot.

SUCCESS!

Thanks to one and all.

Piers du Pre
MBM Cruising Club enthusiast

jfm

Visit site
Re: Who did it?

Piers, glad they are back to A-1 condition! Did you have the head and valve work done by SAL? Were you pleased with their workmanship/price? (for future ref!)

Piers

www.playdeau.com
Re: Who did it?

Hi - SAL did it. I also had the injectors done whilst about it. No complaints about their service, or any work in over 5 years of using them.

Prices? Haven't seen the bill for this recent work, but I am told I can re-mortgage!

Piers du Pre

Piers

www.playdeau.com
Oh c_j! My apologies (that's the second time in a few days that I've had to apologise on this Forum!)

It was contributions from both you and boatone that helped me resolve the problems - so thanks to both. I find it sad you took flack from others when coming to the aid of a fellow boater....

All the best - and thanks again.

Piers du Pre

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Do I understand this correctly? You spent hundreds (thousands?) of pounds on virtually rebuilding your engines when you did'nt really need to.
Have you told your wife?

Piers

www.playdeau.com
Well, yes and no. Erm...how do I answer this?

But, they are as sweet as can be, sound terrific, run cooler (not just 'cos the sea is cooler now) and are set for another 700 hours or so.

And the coolant isn't spilling out, where it was before, and being fussy, I didn't want to see the mess in the bilge. Now no spillage, so success! Now running at a temp they used to run at when new, so success! Heat exchangers / oil coolers de-scaled so good for another - and so it goes on. Persuaded?

But yet to tell my wife the cost - come to that, I haven't had a bill yet - dare I hope...

Piers du Pre

G

Re: recession

I think it's excellent that P is doing his best to delay recession, altho, seems a bit excessive.....