Cooking pasta or rice

Stingo

Visit site
Was in the pub last night and my ol' mate and her what he obeys, who've crossed the pond a few times were donating their tips to us with receptive ears...

On those long passages when you're not sure how long your gas supply will last, boil your water (1/3 seawater and 2/3 fresh) and pour it into a thermos flash with the rice or pasta. Close the thermos and about 20 minutes later, the pasta will be cooked.

Takes time to learn the proportions of water to rice/pasta so experiment before heading for the deep.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stingo.co.uk>http://www.stingo.co.uk</A> <font color=blue>- now showing at a computer near you</font color=blue>

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
hmmm..

Better use a pressure cooker: put mixed salt water and close lid, bring to boil (fiddle with the whistle), open, put pasta inside, close and cook for a few minutes. Overall time roughly equal, result much much better!
Using water from the solar shower also reduces time.

Sorry, it remembers me a friend of mine who put pasta, one tomato, one onion and chopped garlic in cold water and brought everything to boil: no need to be at sea to be seasick!

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Perfect rice

Having lived in India for a couple of years the secret of perfect rice is:
Use Basmati Rice (do not use yucky American long grain)
Wash the rice quickly and drain to minimise the 'washings' soaking into the rice.
Soak in water for half an hour ( I can't usually wait that long so let's say 10 minutes) . This will ensure that the rice does not stick together and reduce cooking time.
Boil for 10mins. ( not sure how long in a thermos...maybe 15 max)
enjoy
David

<hr width=100% size=1>

RichardPerou

Visit site
Re: Perfect rice

Cover rice with water. Bring to boil. Cover with cloth and put on the lid. Ignore it for fifteen minutes.

Perfect cooked rice.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Add a cup-a-soup or two to your thermos flask mixture and you liven up the rice a treat. Great for those three day storms when no-one feels like doing anything else in galley.

<hr width=100% size=1>

bluet36

Visit site
With pasta, I bring water to the boil in saucepan, add the pasta, bring water back to boil, turn heat off, put lid on and leave for about 8mins. Perfect pasta.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

I delivered a 90 foot yacht to Portugal a while back and the Polish cook used to boil the rice in the saucepan and when boiled he would place it all under his duvet for a couple of hours approx (as suitable) wrapped in a towel until cooked.
Same thing as thermos I guess (Oh! and Pasta too)

Regards

Rob

<hr width=100% size=1>robinwdunham

alant

Visit site
Even better try cous-cous.
Tried this for first time offshore recently.
Excellent Tesco Mediterranean packet mix. Only need to boil water add cous cous & wait 5 mins (gas off). Available as basic (add your own extras) & other tasty mixes. Much easier than rice or pasta.

<hr width=100% size=1>