Cookham Lock

watson1959

Visit site
Is Cookham that strange one with what looks like a 'separator' gate halfway?

If it is.......can you just use half the lock or would you have to use the double length still? Wouldn't want to be going through there manually during the peak periods! Best take a bottle or two along...

DogsBody

Visit site
Yes, Cookham is the lock with an extra set of gates in its middle. Once upon a time you certainly could work just half the lock by using the middle set of gates (I've done it) but I'm not sure they still work and haven't seen them used for a number of years.

TrueBlue

Visit site
Not really much point - not any quicker than using the full lock (it's not a deep one anyway) and if workable it may be a bit stiffer to wind by hand??

To my mind EA should be taken to task - ? TNUF meeting ? adding that Culham takes 20 minutes to fill - as a result of poor software system design. Stupid to have to wait 15 extra minutes when the last 'few inches' of water dribble in.

rosssavage

Visit site
It wasn't two weeks ago. Seems to have reverted to the older system of switching to hand wind at 10pm. As I found out half way through a lock cycle!!

Forgotten how much effort it is...

And thank you EA for utilising some common sense when they introduced 24hr powered operation a few years ago. Big fan of night boating :)