Conwy Marina (and area) wintering question.

S1975

Visit site
Good Day.

Thinking of wintering in Conwy Marina for 4-5 months as the shelter from swell and wind waves in all directions seems pretty good. Also the option of fairly easy access to Menai strait etc when bright winter days and light winds permit, so as to run/exercise the boat regularly and enjoy both boat and area in the quieter season. Boat is about 10 metres with a 1 metre draught.

Would any one familiar with Conwy ( or Deganwy) Marinas like to offer comment and any of their experience.? I expect to visit the boat at least weekly and use as much as practical. Finally retired and now able and keen to use boat year round.

Thanks very much. :)

D.

Mike k

Visit site
I have only visited that Marina and it was very nice ( slightly shallow in places but that may be dredged now),there are also moorings in the river. Pm Seastoke re marina or Bruce k for river berthing. They are both regular contributors to this board so I guess they wont mind. From memory Deganwy was slightly dearer for visitors so probably for berthing too.

IDAMAY

Winter: Algarve Summer: Wherever the boat is.
Visit site
We kept our Sealine 420 in Conwy Marina for several years in the 90s and found it very safe in the winter whilst in the water. Silting was a problem then so that we sometimes sat in soft mud at low springs. This may be less of a problem now after the fitting of the sill and possible dredging. I understand Deganwy Marina is less prone to silting.

Seastoke

Visit site
Thank you very much for the useful information and I appreciate your comments and experience.

TY D.

hi we have just arrived in Conwy from our holiday and yes Conwy is a all year round marina with office manned 24/7 a check on every boat every night ,shop on site great pub and chandlers ,also easy to get to the straits or if sea is rough and you want to give your boat a thrash no speed limit under the bridge on the river ,pm me if you need any info

stearman65

Visit site
We spent 2 years at Conwy marina pre the fitting of the cill. Cons, not 24 hr access, 'orrible smell from the muddy bottom at low tide, mud bungs the sea cocks & water inlet & outlets. Channel from sea only accessible at certain times, bouyage in channel had dodgy lights. Pro's good fish & chips in the town, lovely sailing area.

Seastoke

Visit site
We spent 2 years at Conwy marina pre the fitting of the cill. Cons, not 24 hr access, 'orrible smell from the muddy bottom at low tide, mud bungs the sea cocks & water inlet & outlets. Channel from sea only accessible at certain times, bouyage in channel had dodgy lights. Pro's good fish & chips in the town, lovely sailing area.

all has changed now sill gate is in ,although you only have access 3hours either side of high tide,but there is a waiting pontoon outside the gate which does not dry out ,the only down side is BRUCE .ps the albion must be the best real ale pub for 100 miles , roy

BruceK

Visit site
Ha! Marina queens arguing over The Ghettoes again. What you want is a nice harbour pontoon with a decent view and genteel company. The Marina as marinas go isnt half bad though, I'll give it that. The naysayers obviously havent been in a while. And whats this about the Menai? You have the whole of Anglesey on your doorstep. Which means you can always find sheltered waters which ever way the wind blows and even some serious blows.
BTW Roy. You left a heart broken soul at the Aberdovey harbour authority. I left him your mobile number. Hope you dont mind.

BruceK

Visit site
S1975 if you are potentially considering a river berth pm me. I am happy to give a call to discuss. :encouragement: