Converting oil lamp to battery

Visit site
Dear all,
I'm thinking of converting a knackered old oil lamp to battery. Thinking maybe hiding a small USB power pack in the body, and adding a flickering effect bulb where the wick was.

Question is, has anyone any suggestions for parts, particularly a suitable bulb?

Regards,
Matt

davidpbo

Boatless in Cheshire. Formerly 23ft Jeanneau Tonic
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
Do a search for battery operated flickering lights if you want the effect rather than much light. Strip the workings out and put it i your lamp. Some will be bighter than others, I doubt any are intended as a source of light.

Alternatively Flicker Led plus battery and charging circuit.

To get a nice warmish light you need warm white LEDs 2700K (Kelvin) or less.

Last edited:

Rappey

Visit site
That's such a great idea . I have 3, they were not cheap but they smell when in use.
led can achieve any level of brightness and colour you want.
I'm not sold on the flickering idea myself .
Maybe red led,s and it would be great to use the wick adjuster knob as the switch.
I would consider wiring them to the 12v supply.
No more having to clean the glass.

Stemar

Visit site
Milady has some LED "candles" that run on batteries. Not very bright - around one candlepower(!), but a decent ambiance. Could you get one and use the innards. maybe with a more powerful LED?

Better still, use the candle innards for ambiance, but fit a powerful LED for when you want proper light

William_H

Visit site
Not clear if OP wants to use it as a light or just a flickering decoration. No comment on latter from me. However for good light LEDs make it so easy. You can vary from nice light to brilliant. Do you want to run it from batteries or 12v ships supply? Just search Ebay or similar for 12v LED and buy the wattage you want.
If you want battery power do you want rechargeable or dry cell? If you go for a 12v battery (8dry cells) or for 10 NiMh rechargeable or 3x lithium. You will need a charge of some sort. You can get from Ebay all sorts of battery cell holders for the number and size of cells. Depends on available space for the battery holder. I would go for 3x lithium either 18650 or 14500 (AA) sized. You will need a charge discharge control board and a source of 14v or so charge source.
Alternatively you can try to set lamp up to run on low voltage. ie 1x lithium or 3x dry cells or 3x NiMH. The problem here is that you must wire the LED (diode bulbs) individually with a series current limiting resistor. The 12v bulbs always have 3 didoes in series. You can get individual bulbs from electronic stores or Ebay or wreck an old Christmas light string that has LEDs. Trick then is to mount them to look like a flame centre source. The diodes usually shine in a narrow beam so you need a ring of them to look like a centre source of light. Omni direction.
The little 5050 LED square block as used in LED bulbs Have 3 diodes. Each connection comes out so 6 points on the back of the LED block. They are usually wired in series for 12v but you can with patience and a soldering iron seprate then parallel them . Once paralleled they only need around 4volts. Typical current for each diode is about 20 ma .
20X 5050 Cool WHITE 13 SMD LED BULB 1156 1003 1141 RV TRAILER INTERIOR LIGHT 12V | eBay These might suit as 12v lamp or contain thee 5050 which can be extracted.
Plastic Battery Holder Storage Box Case for 1x/2x/3x/4x 18650 Batteries + Wire | eBay has various sized 18650 cell holders. 1x Battery Holder Case Box with Wire Lead for 2X Series AA Batteries 3V zj | eBay for smaller 14500 or AA batteries
3S 11.1V 12.6V 18650 Lithium Battery Charging Controller Module Board | eBay n
Just to give OP some ideas ol'will